How should I handle this situation? - trampoline

(23 Posts)
jayn043 Mon 21-Apr-14 19:41:09

I am going to discuss with a neighbour the location of a trampoline. These neighbours have form for being inconsiderate, (dog fouling on front gardens & placing skips on private parking spaces) so I expect it will be an interesting discussion. How should I approach this?

The neighbours on a different row of houses have place a large trampoline at the bottom of another neighbours garden, about 3 doors down . Access to the garden is open access as the owner doesn't use the space and has agreed to the trampoline being placed their. There are three sets of neighbours who share this trampoline with their friends and come and go as they please.

Our living room faces into the garden and the trampoline is situation at the end of our garden. We now have no privacy from the use of the trampoline.

I havn't yet spoken to the owner of the garden as she is unwell so i'll deal directly with the trampoline owner for now.

How should I handle this?

treaclesoda Mon 21-Apr-14 19:47:40

when you say it's situated at the end of your garden do you mean in your garden, as in, a communal garden?

If not, I'm not sure there is anything you can really do, or reasonably ask them to do. If it's not communal but separate garden, and the garden owner is agreeable to it bring there, no one has really done anything wrong. It's keep your point about these people bring inconsiderate with their dog but tbh this is a separate issue.

treaclesoda Mon 21-Apr-14 19:48:08

that should say 'I take your point'

jayn043 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:43:52

its in there neighbours garden, behind a normal 6ft fence which I have raised on a gravel boards, so that is as high as it will go.

Joules68 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:45:33

Well there's nothing you can do is there?

jayn043 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:42:25

Should i discuss with the trampoline owner and how should I approach that conversation?
Should I discuss with the garden owner and maybe inform her about her liability if any child is injured in her garden.
Should I raise a formal dispute?
If they don't want to compromise, what can i do to encourage them to compromise?

tobysmum77 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:33:53

I think yabu sorry. If privacy burghers you that much then buy some net curtains or blinds

tobysmum77 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:34:21

bothers

whattoWHO Tue 22-Apr-14 21:37:44

But what grounds for complaint do you have for a neighbor allowing a trampoline to be used in their own garden?

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 22-Apr-14 21:40:56

Raise a formal dispute? Liability?

Seriously? If you do the former and you own your house then you're opening up all sorts of problems.

Plant some bamboo.
Add some trellis and grow some Russian Vine.

Waltermittythesequel Tue 22-Apr-14 21:43:51

What can you do?

Eff all!

It's not on your property. It might be annoying but I don't see what grounds you would have for a complaint.

The children aren't harassing or abusing you in any way. They're just playing on their trampoline!

Nestabee Tue 22-Apr-14 21:47:17

I don't think there is anything you can do except to get a higher fence if able to.

jayn043 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:53:00

Am I really being unreasonable?
To reiterate they have placed the trampoline at the end of a neighbours garden (not there own), open access to all children (so its not just a few hours of use, its several hours of use by different neighbours children, one after the other).
It's not unreasonable to ask them to move it - back to their own garden, is it? where they could safety watch them?

Waltermittythesequel Tue 22-Apr-14 22:57:09

If it was your garden then no, it wouldn't be U to ask them to move it.

But it's not!

Linskibinski Tue 22-Apr-14 23:00:48

Trampolines never last long anyway, one summer and it will be gone. Just buy blinds, much easier on the nerves

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 22-Apr-14 23:06:07

You could ask them of course but your nuclear options if they don't, are daft.

NurseyWursey Tue 22-Apr-14 23:11:40

Well what if the neighbour who's garden it's in decides to get their own? You're in exactly the same boat. I'm sorry I can understand it's annoying but YABU and it's your responsibility to get blinds etc if it bothers you

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 22-Apr-14 23:12:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MostWicked Tue 22-Apr-14 23:16:09

If it's not in your garden, I don't see how it is any of your business.

treaclesoda Tue 22-Apr-14 23:31:36

if the person who owns the garden agrees with them having the trampoline there, then they have every right to have the trampoline there. You don't have any reasonable grounds to dictate what you can see from your window.

The house opposite me has a caravan and a large van in the drive. I don't like looking at them but it's not my driveway, so I can't ask them to move them.

VinoTime Tue 22-Apr-14 23:51:32

I understand what you're getting at.

My parents' neighbours put a massive 10ft trampoline right up against the fence both they and my parents share. So whenever the weather is nice, every child in their estate piles round to use it. Great for the kids, but not so great for my parents when they get in at 6pm from work and just want to sit out in their garden, have a BBQ and relax. Especially when the children are bouncing away and shouting "HELLO!" to my folks every other second and 'peeping' over the fence at them. It's cute for all of about 2 minutes and I know my parents really resent it. My mum, who loves her privacy, would like to ask them to move it but doesn't want to cause any upset sad It kind of ruins the house for them in the summer months. Personally, I would never want to put a trampoline anywhere that I felt would annoy my neighbour(s), but not everybody is always so considerate.

Bottom line, there's not really anything you can do about it. If you're willing to raise the issue nicely though, then take a whack at it. Something along the lines of, "I don't mean to be a pest and I want the children to enjoy themselves, but is there any chance you would maybe consider moving the trampoline somewhere a little less intrusive?" smile

If they say no, then no it is. But if it's something that is really making you miserable, I certainly don't see the harm in broaching it in a polite and friendly way.

beershuffle Tue 22-Apr-14 23:57:34

So one set of neighbours has put a trampoline in another neighbours garden? Andbthis has anything to do with you WHY? Since you mention no noise problem or direct impact on you, why do you care?

Floralnomad Tue 22-Apr-14 23:59:49

In answer to the question I would do nothing because it's patently none of your business what other people do in their own gardens .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now