How to deal with cleaner

(9 Posts)

Our cleaner has been coming for 4 weeks now. She cleans well but doesn't put things back properly after she's cleaned under them. Not the end of the world- just takes five mins for me to straighten things up again.

Anyway....... I'm off work this week and was playing outside with DD so we weren't under feet when she was cleaning. We came back in and DH's big sharp ceremonial knife (presented to him after leaving a job in the army) which usually lives on a safe high bookcase had been left on 18month old DD's book table......

I'm cross. Will text her but should we just get another cleaner?

Thanks oh wise vipers

Trillions Thu 17-Apr-14 10:03:15

I wouldn't text her, I would wait until the next time she comes and mention these issues face to face.

Thanks trillions, problem is that I don't really ever see her- I'm usually out at work when she comes. Just trying to work out how big a deal the knife on children's table is...

snowgirl1 Thu 17-Apr-14 10:10:26

I wouldn't get another cleaner just for this. I'd speak to her about it (and change cleaner if it happens again).

Brill, thanks! (I'm just a bit pathetic when it comes to things like this sometimes and wasn't sure how bad that was in terms of cleaner issues!)

exexpat Thu 17-Apr-14 10:26:00

You need to have a chat/give her a warning about safety. I had a similar problem with a cleaner years ago, when DS was a toddler - she never, ever reclosed the childproof catch on the cleaning cupboard (full of bleach and so on ), she left DH's razor in the basket of DS's bath toys etc, but despite frequent reminders (not just about safety, there were all sorts of other things she was doing wrong too), she never improved, so I had to fire her in the end.

odyssey2001 Thu 17-Apr-14 11:35:26

You have two issues.

Her not putting this back is an irritation and not a stackable offence. A gentle reminder may change her ways, but if she is a good clearer I wouldn't get rid of her over this. Just put things back after as you already do.

Something which is a safety concern should be raised with her either over the phone or in person. Not by text. However, I wouldn't treat this as a warning or the final straw. Point out why you were concerned and see what happens over her next few visits.

I think most people have to go round their house and put them right after a cleaner has been. You sound a little like me - places for things matter to us but won't to a cleaner!

odyssey2001 Thu 17-Apr-14 11:36:11

I meant go say "putting things back".

starfishmummy Thu 17-Apr-14 11:39:52

Not putting things back in the right place is, in my experience, a way of letting you know that they have moved things to clean underneath them.

But the knife should have been put away safely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now