Replacing in-good-working-order monstrosities for aesthetic reasons?

(10 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Fri 11-Apr-14 20:39:12

I am washing up and find myself glaring at my toaster which is easily the ugliest thing in my kitchen. It was given to us as a moving in present nearly 10 years ago, completely in jest, by a friend who had had it since she left home at 17 (now 46). Trouble is, it works like a dream and knocks out a cracking bit of toast. I find myself fantasising about replacing it, but feel its a bit unnecessary to get rid of something which is in good working order just because I don't like the look of it. I've a similar issue with my shower curtain.
Do you ditch stuff that works?

Morgysmum Fri 11-Apr-14 22:01:34

Hi yes I would ditch both, if they are annoying you so much, you can enjoy doing it and it will feel good, shame we cannot do the same with our partners!

hugoagogo Sat 12-Apr-14 16:33:04

I would struggle to do it as well.

It's such a good feeling when they finally break though; I skipped around the kitchen when my foul cheap nasty yellowing microwave finally gave up the ghost a while back. grin

It's 29 years old, you are hardly being frivolous and wasteful if you ditch it

JuniperTisane Sat 12-Apr-14 16:40:20

Otoh, a good toaster is a vanishingly rare thing. Do you really want to risk style over substance?

MrsRuffdiamond Sat 12-Apr-14 16:43:27

Haha! I thought this thread was about cosmetic surgery - boobs and the like grin

Naoko Sat 12-Apr-14 16:49:28

I don't, because I can't afford to. But some day I will have a little bit more money and I will replace the deeply ugly sofa I have hated since the day it entered my house (from the second hand shop) and it will be the best day ever. And I won't even feel slightly guilty because I have at this point lived with the bastard thing for 7 years with no end in sight and it wasn't new when I got it, it's done its time, and I'll put it on Freecycle so it stays out of landfill too if it's still usable when I get rid.

peacefuleasyfeeling Sat 12-Apr-14 17:05:06

Thank you all, I got a few good laughs out of that. I think I'll see if I can go for an eBay upgrade; get another second hand one so I can still feel that thrill of frugality. The shower curtain on the other hand will have to be a trip to she shops. And Naoko, hats of to you for living with a huge thing like a sofa that you dislike so.

H&M do nice shower curtains that aren't expensive

peacefuleasyfeeling Sat 12-Apr-14 20:09:20

H & M do shower curtains? I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now