Birds and bees.

(5 Posts)
Morgysmum Wed 09-Apr-14 20:30:42

My 7 year old is asking about sex, he thinks cuddling and kissing mum is having sex, I have told him that it isn't. Is he too young to have the talk if not, how do I broach the subject, my mum just gave us a book and said any questions just ask.

meditrina Wed 09-Apr-14 22:08:31

If he's asking, he's not too young.

I'd answer questions as they come up. A set piece 'talk' can easily end in embarrassment, especially if you've not really talked before about physical development, reproductive biology and relationships.

Meglet Wed 09-Apr-14 22:15:26

He's not too young. I told mine when they started reception year.

The longer you leave it the more playground rumours they will pick up.

CheesyBadger Wed 09-Apr-14 22:17:47

I agree with answering questions as they come up. Creating an atmosphere conducive to questions and honest answers is more important than 'the talk' which can seem final, embarrassing and not open ended enough to encourage further queries

feathermucker Thu 17-Apr-14 04:17:26

My son's friend used to say to him that he'd had sex with a girl (they were 6/7 at the time lol) whereas he'd kissed her fleetingly once.

They've since had some basic sex ed and now sometimes my son is quite open or will ask questions. He has a much better understanding of the basics. Personally, I think it's great smile

If you phrase it appropriately, he may well be able to understand some basics, though you'll probably get some ewwws etc! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now