What age can my daughter start a dog walking business

(19 Posts)
carnage Sun 06-Apr-14 10:35:35

My ten year old want to start walking other people's dogs. I applaud her enterprise but I'm not sure about her doing this at her age. Although we living in a rural area I am not complacent about her safety. Just thought I would put this out for discussion as I told her I would.

Joules68 Sun 06-Apr-14 10:37:07

We'll at ten it's not going to be a 'business' is it. For a bit of pocket money maybe, with people/family you know well

MrsBennetsEldest Sun 06-Apr-14 10:38:48

18, your daughter is not old enough to be responsible for other peoples animals in the event of an accident.

MagnaCharge Sun 06-Apr-14 10:38:55

I would say walking a relative's dog for a couple of quid is fine at 10. Close friends as well probably. Strangers not a chance.

GemmaTeller Sun 06-Apr-14 10:42:41

I've got two boxers, as good as they are on the lead and with people, I would not let a 10yr old take them out, its too much responsibility.

Goblinchild Sun 06-Apr-14 10:42:57

Business involves insurance and liability.
Informal walking of a friend's dog for a bit of cash is a different thing. You know your daughter, and your friends, so it is up to you to decide who she works for, which dogs and how often.

Goblinchild Sun 06-Apr-14 10:44:56

You also need to consider the impact on your DD if she loses a dog, or if the dog gets into a scrap with another dog, or it bites someone, or ends up chasing sheep.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 06-Apr-14 10:59:27

We have a young lab so too big for our 10 year old to walk alone, but still don't think I would let a 10 year old walk any dog alone for the reasons goblin has already given. What if the dog saw something across a road and tried to pull towards it before your dd could react?

Probably be closer to 13-14 before I begin to reconsider ds walking our lab alone.

vestandknickers Sun 06-Apr-14 11:04:23

Not a chance I would let a ten year old take my dog out. As others have said, maybe a couple of quid from a relative might be a good way to start but it is waaay too much responsibility to take out strangers' dogs.

Sorry OP's daughter!

EdithWeston Sun 06-Apr-14 11:12:38

I'm quite happy to let my 10 year old DD take a 'known' dog for short walks alone in familiar areas.

I really don't think she'd be ready to do it as a business. I think once adult-sized it would be OK (so late teens) if it's small casual arrangement (like baby-sitting), but if full-on business then it might have to wait until 18, or until she finds an adult business partner for the admin and she is the employee (dog walking would easily fit permitted working hours for minors).

hairypaws Mon 14-Apr-14 15:39:09

I don't even let my 11 year old take our dog out. Far too young to be responsible for a dog IMO.

Faver0lles Mon 14-Apr-14 15:40:41

If I paid someone to walk my dogs, I would only hire a responsible adult. Sorry!

WeeClype Mon 14-Apr-14 15:44:43

I don't allow my 15 year old out with the dogs, she's just not strong enough if the dog really wanted to pull her along etc and if another dog was to attack she just wouldn't know how to react.

abitofanangrybird Wed 16-Apr-14 15:44:51

I wouldn't allow this personally - we are farmers and see so many dogs going for each other on out footpaths, even whilst on leads. Even if the dog your daughter is walking is under control, it could easily go badly wrong when other dogs are involved. And as other posters have said, what happens if she loses control of a dog and it runs off, or attacks another dog, child or livestock? The effect on both parties could be devastating.
I think it's lovely that your daughter likes animals and has a good work ethic though! Would she consider offering to volunteer at a local animal sanctuary as an alternative?

Trillions Thu 17-Apr-14 10:07:36

I think 12 is a better age, but a lot depends on the size/strength of the dogs involved and the size/strength of your daughter. A strapping 12-year-old walking a smallish dog, fine. A small weedy 12yo trying to control a big, bouncy dog is a but more difficult.

I don't know much about dogwalking - would a dog walker generally keep the dog on the leash the whole time, or let them off to play fetch or something and then have to get them back again? That could also be tricky...

Blondie1984 Thu 24-Apr-14 22:18:30

Massively saturated market - and it already sounds as though her age could be a problem - good on here though for wanting to.
Would she be willing to try something else? Valeting the inside of people's cars perhaps? Although obviously only in your immediate vicinity

Floralnomad Thu 24-Apr-14 22:22:28

When she is old enough to pay the insurance premiums for the public liability cover she would need.

DogCalledRudis Fri 25-Apr-14 07:48:32

Small dogs is ok. Or very obedient dogs. And of course with people you know.

Greyhound Sun 27-Apr-14 10:09:54

I'm a dog walker and I am insured up to the roof. Wouldn't advise a ten year old to be a dog walker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now