WWYD: Holiday abroad and potential new job?

(9 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 27-Mar-14 11:13:31

I am in a job which is stable until March 2015, and then I'll be made redundant. I am currently job hunting quite intensively (20 applications in past 14 months. Interviews for 12 of them). I have seen a great offer for flights to Toronto which is a destination DP and I have been wanting to visit for ages! Would I be crazy to book flights for about 6 months' time, knowing I may well be in a new job by then? I don't know how likely it is a new employer would honour holidays I'd booked before I got the job with them? Thinking 2 - 3 weeks trip. Alternatively should I wait til I'm in a new job - but I don't know when that'll be, given I've had 14 months hunting so far!

AnUnearthlyChild Thu 27-Mar-14 11:18:46

Book it.

If you get a job offer, just tell them you have an upcoming trip. Oh and take out some good cancellation insurance smile

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 27-Mar-14 11:22:59

I'm sure a new employer would honour a holiday that was booked and paid for before you've even applied for, let alone started in a new job.
Go for it.

ThePartyArtist Fri 28-Mar-14 12:11:45

Thanks everyone... well I think I may have come up with the answer as the airlines I was looking at allow you to change the date for £80 per person per flight... so potentially if I had a new employer who wouldn't allow me to take the dates I'd booked I'd lose £360 which would be far from ideal but better than cancelling altogether...

crazykat Fri 28-Mar-14 13:05:30

I'd book it and tell them at the first interview. You're more likely to get time off of you let them know at interview that you already have a holiday booked on certain dates (unless you're planning on going for a month). But you likely won't be paid for the time off unless you've worked there long enough to have accrued enough annual leave.

SmellyMince Thu 10-Apr-14 01:10:50

Im pretty sure that if you have something booked before an interview, your new employer has to honour it, but they have the right to take it out of annual leave and/or be unpaid.

At least thats what my boss told me. Could be different for public & private sector

Im pretty sure that if you have something booked before an interview, your new employer has to honour it, but they have the right to take it out of annual leave and/or be unpaid.

At least thats what my boss told me. Could be different for public & private sector

NatashaBee Thu 10-Apr-14 01:53:47

Most employers are reasonable about honouring existing holiday. I'd keep it to two weeks though, some employers have a maximum amount you can take at once - a couple of places I've worked will only give you more than 2 weeks for something exceptional like getting married.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now