My father keeps sharing pics of my 3 yr old with people I don't know

(10 Posts)
fantasyworld Sun 23-Mar-14 00:02:39

This is now driving me crazy: my father has a public Facebook account and has a policy of accepting anyone's request, as he promotes himself through social networking. I have spoken to him in the past about not sharing pictures of my daughter with his "friends", many of whom he doesn't even know, but to no avail. I have explained the dangers and that I just don't feel comfortable with it. Tonight he sent a group whatsapp to a load of people I don't know of my daughter in her knickers. Some of them replied with question marks as even they seemed to think it was random. I feel sick with anger but I have already told him so many times, I don't know what to do. Help...

Magmar Sun 23-Mar-14 00:40:04

Don't let your dad get pictures of her. If he takes pictures of her remove her from his care. Explain to him that if he does not stop sharing pictures with people you don't know he will not see his granddaughter.

At least, that's what I would do.

fantasyworld Sun 23-Mar-14 09:28:58

Magmar I know it's what makes sense, however I have been hesitant to do this as he lives in a different country and doesn't get to see her very often- it had seemed a bit draconian. Having slept on it I think I am going to cancel him from my Facebook and forbid him from taking further pictures when we visit or he visits us in future. But I feel very sad thinking I can never share pictures of her with him again, for fear they'll end up somewhere I don't want them to...

petalunicorn Sun 23-Mar-14 09:34:42

So did he take a picture of her in her knickers and publish it? If so that is worrying and you need to limit his access to her.

If he shared a picture you had taken of her in her underwear and put on facebook and he normally shares your pictures then I think that is different. In that case you should not be putting pics of her in her underwear out there. If this is the case it can be dealt with easily, make sure you only put pictures up that you are happy to have shared, any potential perverts are not going to be interested in a properly dressed 3 year old when they have the internet at their disposal sadly.

fantasyworld Sun 23-Mar-14 10:20:46

It's a picture he took while I was out and left her in his care. It doesn't happen often but I had a work interview. I only ever upload pics of her fully clothed. Her state of undress is not even the point though. He should just respect my wishes. He is so naive when it comes to things like that, he doesn't realise the dangers...

Chocotrekkie Sun 23-Mar-14 10:25:09

If you defriend him on Facebook then you will then have no idea what he is doing on it or sending round in the future.

You can set up groups and only share your child's pictures with the group if you don't want him to share any pictures you put on.

kayleigh2304 Tue 08-Apr-14 23:55:40

My nan does this too an she accepts anyone! Im going to deactivate Facebook cause I'm sick of it, I never even got to put the first picture on of my baby when he was born :/

sezamcgregor Wed 09-Apr-14 10:21:39

Report the pictures - you can get FB to remove them

WeeClype Wed 09-Apr-14 10:25:23

Keep him as a "friend" but block him from seeing your posts.

siblingrevelry Wed 09-Apr-14 10:32:36

What's the problem with people seeing pictures of your child? I'm sorry, i don't understand where the issue is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now