Passport countersigned

(53 Posts)
Georgia1508 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:43:52

Hi please held I signed my friends children's passport now I have recieved letter back from passport agencie asking more information about my friends address etc was the form complete when I signed also asking me for my my work satus worried please help do I have to reply to passport agency ? Or I have been told the passport will be invoid after a few weeks is this true please really do not know what to do ;(((

What's the problem? It says on the form that you signed that they might contact you. Just write back with what you know.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Tue 11-Mar-14 14:45:45

You should answer the questions. The passport form does state that checks can be made. If you answered everything truthfully then there's nothing to worry about.

HotCrossPun Tue 11-Mar-14 14:46:57

Its standard procedure, nothing at all to be worried about.

They randomly contact a number of countersignaturies. All you have to do is answer the questions they have asked and post it back.

Your friends child's passport application won't continue being processed until they have received the response from you.

I used to work for HMPO so feel free to ask any questions.

BirdintheWings Tue 11-Mar-14 14:50:01

Is it the work status bit that's panicking you? You do need to have either a recognised job or 'be of good standing' whatever that's meant to mean, but the list of suitable occupations is quite broad.

if you weren't really a suitable signatory, probably best to admit that to them and let your friend start again.

eurochick Tue 11-Mar-14 14:52:11

What's the problem? If you signed everything as you should, then just reply. I have been a countersignatory many times and had one of these letters last year.

If you have signed when you shouldn't have then you were very silly and your friend will need to find another countersignatory.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Mar-14 14:54:58

There's nothing to worry about. Just do what they've asked.

Georgia1508 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:55:28

Ok still unsure will I get a fine or any thing if I say I thought I was able to sign forms also I read on one these threads some one after 3 weeks didn't respond from a countersign they had to start all over again

Why are you so worried, did you give false information on the form?

eurochick Tue 11-Mar-14 14:57:53

You still haven't explained what you are worried about.

Georgia1508 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:57:57

No not at all I'm just a major worrier with everything

onepieceoflollipop Tue 11-Mar-14 14:57:57

i heard that they check most if not all first applications for a child. You sound overly worried.
You will have signed to say that you have known friend for x amount of time, and that the photos are a good likeness of the child.
unless there is something amiss, you need to return them promptly.
My friend delayed her response, and then didn't respond in time to HMPO reminder and it made the process very long and frustrating as we had to start from scratch.

So you signed it when you were not eligible to do so? And lied on the application?

Your friend needs to find another person to counter sign then

Why on earth did you do that?

You will surely have filled out your work information on the form, with your passport number etc. I still don't get the concern.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 11-Mar-14 15:00:24

Ring them now rather than worrying what ifs. They were v helpful when I had to contact them.

Georgia1508 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:00:58

No I havnt lied at all ;( just needed some advice

fill in the form with the required info and post it back. They are double checking the info given on the application and its not anything to worry about.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 11-Mar-14 15:02:20

Is your job not on the list? If not you need to get it sorted. Fwiw when my friend 'forgot' to reply to them, they didn't pursue her, but in her case she was just being forgetful, she was allowed to sign.

Are you currently working? Maybe if you aren't they just want a bit more info about your standing in society, qualifications etc.

its normal for them to double check for passport applications. It doesn't mean you filled in the passport form wrongly, they just sometimes contact the counter signatory for extra info so stop worrying

eurochick Tue 11-Mar-14 15:04:52

Then just provide the information they want and post the letter back! They are just checking that the person who signed is at the address given and is willing to make the confirmations requested. It's no biggie.

If you haven't lied why did you ask if you would get a fine if you told them you thought you were allowed to countersign?

If you know that you are allowed sign, why ask?

just fill in the form woman!!!

Electryone Tue 11-Mar-14 15:10:27

Are you eligible to sign or not?

WestieMamma Tue 11-Mar-14 19:02:57

Why are you worrying about a fine? A quick google search brought up The Met website which says falsely countersigning a passport application has a max penalty of 14 years imprisonment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now