Overseas wedding...

(4 Posts)
toni74 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:38:13

Brother’s getting married….yeah!

Brother is getting married in a beautiful exotic beach location…arhh!

Ok so my question is should I go (off course I should, but have concerns about the cost)?

The wedding is in term time so it’s only me that can go (along with sibling and our parents).

I’m checking prices and its really expensive before any additions eg food, drinks activities etc

We are currently paying for our family holiday. Husband has said we can do it (pay for it) but it will be really really tight and we’ve only just got out of paying off old debts so don’t want to get back into that situation.
It’s been suggested as a once in a lifetime trip (which it is) but I’m concerned about paying for it months beforehand and afterwards.
The couple are planning a party for everyone that can’t attend the wedding, and I feel as a family (hus and the kids) we should attend this instead.

I’ve spoken to brother and he has said is doesn’t expect everyone to attend due to the cost, so I don’t think I’m going to upset anyone by not attending…

Hus keeps commenting it’s your brother you have to go (I know this!!!), but when push comes to shove I’m actually quite uncomfortable with the proposed costs etc (and keep thinking what could I spend that money on that would help my children or the house!!!)

In my head I think it’s odd that an immediate family member wouldn’t be there? Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do?

Nevercan Mon 24-Feb-14 21:56:52

Where is the wedding? I take it you need to go for a week to make it worth the trip?

sykadelic15 Tue 25-Feb-14 23:56:36

I got married in the US and my family was in Australia. The only people that came were my sister and her husband and that's because they were on their way through to Germany at that time anyway. It wasn't planned initially that any of my family would be there. Neither my mum, dad, or 2 other siblings attended.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that family wasn't there because ultimately, the wedding itself is about the bride and groom. We had planned to have a family celebration in Australia later but it was too expensive and we haven't yet.

I would try and save for the trip and set yourself a deadline for a certain amount of money. If it turns out you can't go, don't. At the end of the day it's just for a wedding, and he IS having a function afterwards. It honestly isn't rational, if you can't afford it well, to attend a one day function that you're just going to sit there and watch.

toni74 Thu 27-Feb-14 09:39:03

Parents are now paying...shock!!!

But thank you for the feedback...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now