Big sister hurting little sister during play?

(9 Posts)
parabelle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:41:24

Is this a big deal? DD2 doesn't seem too bothered and it's always an accident but am I expecting too much to expect dd1 to not hurt her sister.

rhetorician Wed 12-Feb-14 20:44:19

How old are they?

parabelle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:47:10

10 and 5

rhetorician Wed 12-Feb-14 21:09:39

How is she hurting her? Being too rough? At 10 I think she should probably know that it is easy to hurt a younger child. My dd is 5 and occasionally and accidentally hurts her little sister (2) in play, but she knows she shouldn't and I generally remove her from the game for a minute or two, cool down rather than punishment

parabelle Thu 13-Feb-14 21:03:06

Yes, being rough I guess. Well I think so, I never see it, it happens when I'm not in the room. Can't tell if it's deliberate or not and whether my expectations are too high that it shouldn't be happening.

rhetorician Fri 14-Feb-14 12:39:27

I think it shouldn't, personally - with a 5 and 3 year old, yes, I would expect it to happen occasionally, by accident (and the odd lie about that too!). But at 10, I think she should know how to play in a way that doesn't hurt her little sister (the odd accident, yes, that can happen to anyone). What does she say about it when you ask her what happened?

rhetorician Fri 14-Feb-14 12:53:28

is your older girl clumsy? that could explain it

parabelle Fri 14-Feb-14 20:39:48

She just says she was being careless. It happens probably once a week, for the last month or so.

rhetorician Sat 15-Feb-14 13:37:36

probably no big deal then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now