Slaugham Place wedding with new born

(11 Posts)
ClearlyMoo Sat 08-Feb-14 22:23:34

Been invited to a wedding in a marquee at Slaugham Place near Hayward's Heath when my baby (1st) could be as young as 3 weeks, it is 100+ miles from us, and I don't know what to do. There don't seem to be many hotels nearby, and I don't know if they'll be places for feeding/settling baby or if it rains if there would be inside space we could take baby out of main room into. If anyone knows it and could comment if be so grateful!!

randdom Sun 09-Feb-14 08:30:28

I can relate to the concerns about taking a newborn to a wedding. I don't have any personal experience yet but I have four weddings which we have been invited too in my babies first two months of life which is terrifying. Last summer two of my friends had two weddings where they brought there less than a month old baby too. At both the staff were really accommodating re:breast feeding and found an office or a quiet room for her to sit in. As the venue appears to be based near a big house this might be an option. Other options as difficult as it might be could maybe be the car? (I don't really know much about the practicalities of breast feeding but I was thinking somewhere quite and sheltered if it is raining :S)

Area wise I would be surprised if Haywards heath didn't have somewhere to stay but if you are struggling to find somewhere there you are only 30 minutes away from Brighton where there will be somewhere to stay.

It is going to be a difficult one. Are they close friends? I would hope that most people would appreciate that with a three week old travelling that far is a big deal and that you might not make it. I am stressed about the four that I have been invited too and all should be doable as a day trip, plus my friends are all aware that I might have to reconsider once baby arrives.

LittleBearPad Sun 09-Feb-14 08:39:34

Took DD (8 weeks) to a wedding in a marquee. Not as easy as a holt as loos were portacabin style (nice) but no surfaces suitable for changing. She had her nappies changed on a hay bale!

We took her pram and she was either in that or held by me/DH.

It was better than I thought it would be.

LittleBearPad Sun 09-Feb-14 08:40:54

Could you ring the venue and ask how they work it all. I'm sure they would it mind.

JanePurdy Sun 09-Feb-14 08:42:44

Took DD1 to a wedding age 3 weeks (she was two weeks late so she could have been 5 weeks), it was fine. She was breastfeeding & I took a muslin to cover in case I felt self conscious in church etc. had a carrier & a car seat & she ended up sleeping in her car seat by the side of the dancefloor till 1am while we danced!

ClearlyMoo Sun 09-Feb-14 15:09:46

Thanks for positive stories. Especially idea of calling venue, though might need to ask bride for contact details as there doesn't seem to be specific website. Also worried DH will be making hay which would mean he couldn't come, though another mutual friend of couple has suggested she could be on standby instead of DH but then she's not been invited so would need to clear that with bride & groom too! So complicated !

LittleBearPad Sun 09-Feb-14 15:27:21

Try these details.

01444 220182 or email: slaugham@wedding-venues.co.uk

ClearlyMoo Sun 09-Feb-14 17:22:39

Oooh thanks Little Bear!

boopdoop Sun 09-Feb-14 17:39:20

Hi. I live around there, haven't been to the venue itself but was also going to suggest calling them, I'm sure they will be able to help you and at least tell you what facilities there are there etc.

In terms of accommodation locally, there is one hotel in Haywards Heath, the Birch Hotel, but I'd probably recommend the Premier Inn in Burgess Hill - it's virtually as close as HH (takes 8 mins to drive between the two), and BH is just off the M23 and the premier inn is not far away from the motorway, so that's a good option. It's where our families are staying when they come to visit when baby arrives.

There is a Travelodge too but it's a bit run down so I wouldn't recommend it! And there is also a hotel called the Hickstead Hotel which is also just off the M23. A bit more pricey than the Premier Inn though.

Hope that's helpful... Feel free to pm me and or ask other questions on here, happy to help if I can!

woodlandwanderwoman Sun 09-Feb-14 19:20:08

Hi, I have been to a marquee wedding at this venue. It is beautiful and was a fab but wrt a newborn at this venue specifically here are my thoughts:

1) there are only the main dining room and dance area in the marquee, no other private areas to go for bf or changing except outside or in car.

2) toilets are all in very clean and well kept portacabins, again great as a regular guest but not baby friendly

3) if it rains you will be in the marquee the whole time which could be noisy

4) as far as I remember, you have to drive / take taxis to this venue. There is nothing in walking distance.

Specifically taking a newborn to any wedding I would say:

1) good thing is they are very low maintenance, just need milk and sleep. You don't have to worry about them running around or tearing into things. Take a pram and they will be secure.

2) you and your hosts don't have to worry about any specific food or drink (or seats for that matter) for them (but I wouldn't expect a bottle to be heated here or anything tbh, it's not a hotel or restaurant and food is provided by caterers) which makes life much easier!

3) newborns are v portable, if they start crying, you can take them out.

For accommodation, I would suggest looking at options in Cuckfield and Lindfield as well as HH, Brighton is great but a long way home at end of day with baby.

HTH, congratulations to all x

ClearlyMoo Mon 10-Feb-14 22:26:53

Great feedback thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now