passport dilemma

(26 Posts)
simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:22:55

I have a holiday booked on 17th of feb as its my sons birthday on 18th. I sent off my kids passport applications on 3rd of feb via check & send. One renewal & one first time. Has anyone recieved any passort recently that has wny advise or how long theres was to recieve. [Smile]

JeanSeberg Sat 08-Feb-14 11:24:47

Ring them, they're open today. They can give you an update and hopefully escalate if you tell them when you need it for.

scaevola Sat 08-Feb-14 11:26:08

Last time I did a renewal it surprised me by coming back really quickly (less than a fortnight, I think). First issue takes longer, which could be a problem in your circumstances.

Can you ring the Passport Office with the applications barcodes and see if there is anything you can do to get them speeded through the system (you'll have to pay for this).

simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:30:00

Yes I called them yesterday and they said they havn't recieved it. I am shocked as I did send it by check and send. I was told they would at least recieve it next day (4th). Maybe will try ring up again thank you

AlpacaLypse Sat 08-Feb-14 11:34:05

If they went check and send it will be recorded delivery.

I did all our passports in January two years ago, they were all back in under a week, I think they were processed and back in the post to us in no more than a couple of hours.

I actually posted on here to rave with joy about at least one part of the Civil Service doing a great job!

JeanSeberg Sat 08-Feb-14 11:39:36

Did you post it or the post office that checked it?

simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:44:26

The post office sent it for me but dont know if I would have been better off sending it myself. I dont think I am going to be as lucky getting it in a week as that would this monday.

I did dd's renewal at the end of last month. It took 10 days from me posting them (1st class post, not check and send) until I got hers back. They texted me to let me know they had received the application. They do say to allow at least 3 weeks for a first passport so you should really have used another method to endure you got it back in time e.g one of the fast track services

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently - if they have received it you can see if they will upgrade to 1week fast track if you pay the extra

simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:55:04

Yes I tryed to fast track it one week but didnt have appointments till 14th of feb. So was no way I would recieve them in time. Looked on website when sending and I couldnt get them same day either.

simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:56:06

Have not recieved a message yet so I am sure that is not a good sign

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 08-Feb-14 12:02:53

When did you book the holiday?

JeanSeberg Sat 08-Feb-14 12:03:06

Did the PO give you a proof of sending? Have you been back to them?

simikin87 Sat 08-Feb-14 12:12:21

I booked it for 17th to disneyland. Yes I did get a proof of sending with barcode on for tracking. I just rang up and tbey said that it is still not on tbe system.

PrincessTilly Sat 08-Feb-14 20:51:50

I did the exact same thing on 21st January received a txt to say they got the application on 24th January got the passports on the 31st of January. Hope you hear something soon.

have you checked the post office tracking system as it should have arrived there next day? I got texted within a few days to say it had been received so it would be a bit worrying if they were still saying it wasnt on their system

I think Moose meant when did you physically book the holiday, not the dates you are going as you arent meant to book if you dont have valid passports already.

simikin87 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:50:39

Yes I am worried that i have not recieved txt. I will, go to post office & find out. I know im shouldnt have booked anything till, I got passports. But I though i could fast track it in time but it was really busy & couldnt get appointment till 14 which would have been to late.

wooldonor Sun 09-Feb-14 20:54:02

I have just renewed one, it took exactly 2 weeks, no check and send and just normal first class post.

Has your cheque been cashed? Mine went through my bank account about 4 days before I got the passport

Good luck

WeeClype Sun 09-Feb-14 20:58:06

I hate to say this but I applied for a renewal for my DD and the application form never even reached the passport office!, it somehow got lost ��. I was on the phone nearly in tears to the passport people and basically I was told I shouldn't have booked a holiday until I had the passport. It was a very stressful morning spent trying to track a passport.

paddyclampo Sun 09-Feb-14 21:01:12

I got DD's passport the same day as I went to Liverpool - had to have an appointment to do so. Her passport expired days before we were due to travel!

simikin87 Mon 10-Feb-14 20:48:25

Oh I didnt think you could apply for it same day. They also told me on the thst I couldnt get it same day for children?? But saying that everytime call up they are telling me something different. Even though they lost your application did you get it in time??

you cant have same day service for a new child passport or for a child passport renewal so the fastest you could do it would be the 1 week service

well that's what the passport booklet says. depends on the age of the child maybe?

paddyclampo Tue 11-Feb-14 13:47:26

I did a child renewal on the same day. It was last year. I don't think it's possible to get a first passport "over the counter" but you can def get a renewel. DD was 6 at the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now