1 year old climbing out of his cot?

(14 Posts)
Doodledumdums Tue 21-Jan-14 22:38:36

My just turned 1 year old has somehow discovered how to climb out of his cot...I didn't even know that it was possible at 1! I thought we had a good year before having to think about converting his cot into a bed sad
I am not really sure what the next step is? Obviously he can't stay in his cot as it is dangerous for him, but a cotbed isn't safe at 1 either is it? He wriggles around in his sleep so much that I think he will just keep falling out of bed. I've put a stairgate across his bedroom door so that he can't escape in the night and fall down the stairs or anything, but for tonight he is in his cot (I'm home alone this evening and haven't been able to convert the cot or anything), but tomorrow I think we need to decide what we're doing going forward.

Has anyone got any experience of a 12 month old climbing out of their cot? what did you do?

What a little monkey! This isn't good for my blood pressure! smile

AnyaKnowIt Tue 21-Jan-14 22:40:49

Change to cot bed and pillows on floor

Alanna1 Tue 21-Jan-14 22:43:39

You could try "no", but otherwise a mattress on the floor and a stairgate on the room.

mamapants Tue 21-Jan-14 22:47:07

I went for mattress on the floor and stairgate on door when DS was 8mths after he made moves to cloimb out. He was much happier out of cot.
He's been in a bed since 16mths when we moved house.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 21-Jan-14 22:51:33

Hello OP, my ds 2 did this and it was a huge worry.
We put him straight into a toddler bed, make sure the base is pretty low down and put cushions on the floor.
Think about stair gate as well if he is able to access the stairs from his room.
Sorry but this is the shape of things to come.
Not my ds but a friend whose ds was like yours and mine found hers aged 3 near the top of a lamp post shock they had fire engines to get him down.

lilyaldrin Tue 21-Jan-14 22:53:49

How is he climbing out? Pushing quilts/pillows/toys into a corner? Is he in a sleeping bag?

DS was in a single bed from 18 months, initially with a bed guard on the side, and a gate on his door.

mousmous Tue 21-Jan-14 22:56:46

both dc were in a toddler bed (veyr low down) from around 15 months. the night I first observed dc1 climbing over we took te matress out and left him sleeping on the floor until we had the new bed sorted. it's just too dangerous.

Chicken wire wink

Doodledumdums Tue 21-Jan-14 23:22:42

Oh my god, fire engines to get him down?! I hope that isn't a sign of things to come for me!

He hasn't got anything in his cot at all other than a blanket, so he can't be pushing things into a corner. I haven't seen him do it yet, but DH witnessed it earlier. Unfortunately he refuses to sleep in a grobag, he has never liked it, and because he's not a good sleeper anyway, I never forced it as I didn't want any reasons for his sleep to be worse than necessary! Though I guess that would stop him climbing out for now.

I think what I'm going to do tomorrow is convert the cot bed, line the floor with pillows and see how he gets on. It may be revolutionary for him, he's never really liked the cot anyway and isn't a good sleeper, so this may (fingers crossed!) help his sleeping?!

golemmings Tue 21-Jan-14 23:33:29

We used a travel cot for a bit because the sides were higher. Once ds was out of that he was into a toddler bed.

Dad was nearer 18 m. We lowered the cot side and cable tied it very firmly so it didn't rattle, couldn't trap fingers and made a good bed guard.

Then we cable tied a plastic step to the cot leg and she happily climbed in and out until she got a midi bunk bed when she was 3.

DD1 (not dad)

CouthyMow Wed 22-Jan-14 00:47:50

DS3 ended up in a toddler bed at 11mo for this reason. I put the cot mattress on the floor next to the bed, so if he did fall, he had a soft landing!

No would have been pointless with DS3 at that age - he has speech delay and GDD, and didn't understand "NO" until he was 2 1/2.

CouthyMow Wed 22-Jan-14 00:49:28

Do t count on the grobag helping either - DS3 first of all just used his arms to pull himself up (he can do chin ups on the bars in the park at 3yo...) and then just unzipped it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now