Getting married?!?!

(11 Posts)
Katieannxx Mon 20-Jan-14 10:06:04

Me and my partner have been together 7 years and have 2 children together, he also has a child from a previous marriage, well we've decided to get married in augast with just us, our children, both of our parents and our 2 best friends, we are not having a party we've just decided to take our children away for a few days straight after the ceremony (it will be on a Monday morning).

We don't like a fuss and this would suit us down to the ground, but we would like to have some special announcement cards made to send out to family that would have liked to share the day with us explaining why we did it like we have ( with no fuss etc) but don't know where to start???

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks x

SlimJiminy Tue 21-Jan-14 15:47:11

Hmm... I'm not sure why you'd need them to be honest. I'm sure word will spread (via you/your parents/friends, etc) and anyone who wants to send their wishes will pop a card in the post to you. A special announcement card feels like you're either trying to justify it or looking for attention (when you actually don't want a fuss).

givemeaclue Tue 21-Jan-14 15:51:11

Agree with pp

Rootvegetables Tue 21-Jan-14 15:59:47

A friend at work did this, they sent people a little postcard from their trip away saying hello and by the way we got married. It was nice and a but more personal than the printed announcements which don't seem like the same vibe as your actual wedding! Have a lovely day op.

Katieannxx Tue 21-Jan-14 16:58:47

It's more justifying it to people, feel a bit guilty but could never marry in a room full of people would be to embarrassed, I'm liking the postcard idea, I don't see some of my family from one week to the next but are still quite close, I think that would be a nice thing to do, thankyou x

Do be prepared for the fact that you're going to get a certain amount of crap off family and friends. The nice ones, who love and know you, will understand even if they are a bit disappointed at not being able to share the event with you, but one or two will get a cob on and whine at you about how 'selfish' you were and how you've hurt their feelings.
I'm not suggesting you have a wedding that makes you uncomfortable - your wedding, do as you like - just giving a heads- up.

Katieannxx Tue 21-Jan-14 17:06:56

Yes those who know me and care will understand, I'm don't like a show, the more I read this the more silly it sounds, just worrying over nothing really lol thanks for yor comment x

Timeforabiscuit Tue 21-Jan-14 17:37:42

Yes - me and dh did this with just immediate family. No friends, work colleagues etc

Some old friends were offended, but not massively so once we explained why and we are still friends.

My family were relieved at the arrangements.

Dhs were a different kettle of fish tantrumming, threats to gatecrash from extended aunts, mentions of disappointed great grandmothers - but it all came to absolutely nothing, they weren't in regular contact and I doubt they'd know who I was if not for photos at mils house grin

The only people who did gatecrash were some work colleagues who took photos of all of us after the registry office and then legged it which was actually lovely.

My only advice is to be consistent and very firm, and have a wonderful wedding day grin

RudyMentary Tue 21-Jan-14 17:42:25

You don't need to explain - just an excited announcement.

Some may be pissed off but tbh you'd end up pissibf people off if you had a large wedding too - it goes with the territory ;)

SlimJiminy Tue 21-Jan-14 18:37:01

I was just about to add that you could easily get a load of shit for having a bigger wedding/not big enough wedding/no chocolate fountain, etc so I suppose this is just the low-key equivalent to the hassle that goes along with pretty much any wedding - I'm sure the thought of offending people will be far worse than the reality people can moan but there's actually fuck all they can do about it anyway Send your postcard, but don't feel like you have to justify your decision to anyone - be sure to hit a celebratory note rather than an apologetic one. You could say something along the lines of you valuing their support throughout your marriage rather than their presence/presents for one day... just a thought...?

dizhin79 Wed 22-Jan-14 07:34:56

you could get postcards made of a pic of the day of you 2 and the kids. Lots of places do this now. That way it's like you're giving a little token of the day. Screw anyone else, it's your day you do it how you want 2 xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now