Would you go to the papers with this?

(10 Posts)

Without giving too much away, a Premiership football team has teamed up with my local leisure centre and sent letters to all the boys in DD's reception class, inviting them to a boys only football fun session.

DD loves her football, so I went to see the head who admitted he hadn't known about the letters (sent via secretary who didn't question them) but he wouldn't have supported it and would not be allowing it again. He said it was blatant talent spotting. The school is the messenger - to book a place the parents have to email the football club.

DD is in bits that she can't go, she's been playing football since she was 3. I called the football club who admitted it was their policy and once girls were 7 they could join a girls training team. I questioned them that as they had sent letters to reception who were 4 or 5, then surely a mixed class wouldn't matter if they felt that girls aged 7 and above should play separately from boys.
They accepted what I was saying but said it was their policy. I said it was discrimination and sent the wrong message to girls.

They said they would like to invite DD and I to one of their ladies' matched for free. That was 3 days ago and no one has got back to me.

I cannot let this go, for DD's sake. I need to stand up and shout about this.

Would you go to the papers to shame the club into hopefully changing their policy or what? I really don't want to get the school into any bother and don't blame them (well, maybe the secretary should have double-checked with the head).

poopooheadwillyfatface Thu 16-Jan-14 12:50:59

no. not the papers
but I would go to the governors and expect the school to either make sure it was open to boys and girls, or withdraw from any association with the event and apologise to the pupils.

and WTF was the school doing allowing a third party to send out letters to its pupils without reviewing it firstshock They should have a policy for this.
(I'm a governor)

Yes, I take your point and it shouldn't have happened but it has and the head has already said he would be calling the club to say it was not acceptable.
I know the same letters have been sent to virtually all primary schools in my area and no one seems bothered until I spoke up. DD is new to the school, and I really don't want to make a fuss with the school as a teacher friend of mine says letters do sometimes go out without the head being aware.
I haven't a clue how to contact the governors.

I'm more bothered about changing the policy at the football club so that all children are invited in future.

invicta Thu 16-Jan-14 13:35:15

I wouldn't go to the papers, but I would create more at school or with the football club. In infants, mixed football is quite common - we had girls play on our school team.

poopooheadwillyfatface Thu 16-Jan-14 13:44:25

You can contact the Chair of Governors through the school office, they will give you a phone number for them. You don't need to say why you want the number if you don't want to.

And yes, if you want to do the sad-face in the paper about the local club excluding girls, go for it grin You might embarrass them into an about -turn.
The FA has a bit about welcoming girls/women in the game here

Our bottom of the league local football club offers after school football coaching sessions, I don't think any girls attend but the letters state clearly that the sessions are for boys and girls age xyz... as well they should.

benid Thu 16-Jan-14 13:45:48

Yes the papers or whatever you think is the best way to kick up a stink if you get no joy from the football club. Also what relevance has it to invite you and DD to a ladies' football match for free?? I can't see that that addresses your issue at ALL.
I am sure the clubs are supposed to be big on "community engagement" and being inclusive etc.. how is that supposed to work if they alienate their potential future fans so early? Grah. Let us know how you get on and I hope you have success in challenging the club.

Frusso Thu 16-Jan-14 13:49:43

I don't think it's not being bothered, more a "well that's crap chuck it in the bin" if I got bothered by all the junk mail holiday/sports clubs etc that's not appropriate due to disabilities for my dcs to attend i'd go mad.
The issue is with the school and the secretary/admin staff

meditrina Thu 16-Jan-14 13:53:07

I think complaining to the FA might be a good move. It probably won't get a result for DD, but as one of the strands here is the club's policy, the only people who can influence this is the FA.

And get your HT to set new measures in your school about vetting promotional material from any source before it is distributed.

And if the Leisure Centre is run by the Council, get on to them (and you Councillor) about it too.

As the FA is moving towards later introduction of competitive leagues and concentrating on skills in the early years, there is no real reason to segregate U8s.

Ragusa Thu 16-Jan-14 20:49:32

How about contacting another locak premiership club (if there is one), explaining what's happened, and seeing if they would be willing to run a session for just girls. Nothing like a bit of potential for one-upmanship to motivate wink

BillyBanter Thu 16-Jan-14 20:57:33

Yes there is an issue with the school. Just ask the school to review their policy or to remind the secretary to refer to the HT. No stink kicking up needed.

I would consider going to the papers re the football club. It's just a bit fucking miserable and sexist to only invite the boys. It's not like it would cost them a huge amount more or cause them a load more hassle to invite girls too. It deserves to have attention drawn to it. 'that's our policy because that's our policy' is a shit palming off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now