Work opportunity in India

(8 Posts)
HeadingHome Thu 16-Jan-14 03:15:29

I have a 9 month old and 3 year old. I've been asked to move to India for a minimum of 2 or 3 years to assist in the development of a JV. WWYD?

flagnogbagnog Thu 16-Jan-14 04:29:08

I would go. Without hesitation. But that might just be me, I long for adventure.

It would be a life enriching experience for your children.

JeanSeberg Thu 16-Jan-14 05:03:14

I agree and they are a perfect age for it.

Where in India?

MuttonCadet Thu 16-Jan-14 05:07:53

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but that's more about corruption in the India system and issues with setting up a JV than anything to do with your children.

Is it something you can refuse?

HairyPorter Thu 16-Jan-14 06:12:27

No from me too because I don't like the childhood my kids would have had there. Too much reliance on untrained childcarers, not enough outdoor space and the education rat race starts very early. The rich/poor divide would also really get on my nerves if I had to face it daily.

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 16-Jan-14 06:21:24

Never been, but as an anecdote: friends of mine had a 3 yr placement in Milan, followed by one in India.

Guess which they found more enjoyable, enriching and altogether civilised? IIRC they had a primary school age child, a toddler, and my friend was pregnant with n 3 while they were there. They don't have a word to say against it all.

Rosa Thu 16-Jan-14 06:32:06

If you could go out first and see for yourself talk to others out there might help you decide.

Hoppinggreen Thu 16-Jan-14 21:08:37

My husband visits India regularly and he has always said that he would never want us to move there.
He says our lifestyle would be good but totally divorced from most of the people there and we couldn't just go to the park etc like we can now - he said we would be living in a " gilded cage"
The corruption and other issues involved in setting up a JV would be really challenging as well I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now