Getting really fed up of neighbours not allowing us access to our drive.

(15 Posts)
sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:51:03

Hi all. Bit of a vent really but if anyone wants to chip in with their opinion feel free.

Basically, neighbours on either side of us seem to have no consideration at all on how they park their vehicles or visitors. They both have largish families and there are also workmen coming and going at the moment (I appreciate it's not always easy for them to say where the workmen park). We are stuck in the corner of four houses in an L shape if you like and our drive is fairly narrow, not room for 2 cars side by side.

My first point is that we have asked them politely numerous times if they could move to a more reasonable position when we have been stuck not able to get in or out, they have done so with no prob, only to park awkwardly again the next day or soon after. The thing is they could easily move the car to another spot that wouldn't block our drive in the first place, there are a few options! Also on the rare occasions we have parked awkwardly (through no fault of our own) one of the neighbours came out straight away and said 'what's going on here' crossly!

I just don't get it, what are we supposed to do, risk scraping ours and their cars? Not be able to get on or off drive? We don't want to be in a position where we have to keep going and knocking on doors just to be offered a bit of consideration. If a neigbour asked me once, I would get the message and take more care.

Sighs.....so yeah, I'm fed up.

mistlethrush Wed 15-Jan-14 16:54:22

We lived next door to people who regularly left their car overhanging our driveway - just because... We always knocked when we wanted to go out, and I would also wait blocking the road (very quiet!) waiting for them to move it so I could get in the drive. I have no idea why they didn't park a foot further up as that would have solved it.

I have seen some driveways marked with double yellow lines - so some councils will agree to that where there's a persistent problem.

sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:59:54

thanks mistle, yeah we have done what you have done but then you are in a position of leaving your vehicle running, getting out, knock, no answer, ring ...no answer, ...wait...ring...knock, eventually door is opening. You get my drift. Not ideal.

Just looked out of window, another car there now, I'm so totally pissed off. Aaaaagghhhhhh

CosyTeaBags Wed 15-Jan-14 17:05:18

I had a problem with neighbours parking opposite, and sometimes in my driveway. I would have to pull up and beep my horn outside their door and wait for them to move from my private driveway!!

Often they would park directly opposite my drive, making it extremely difficult to pull in or out of the drive. I was always sorely tempted to accidentally bump their car while performing the very difficult manoeuever to get past.

Anyway, what I did do eventually was dump a big bag of compost in my driveway to put them off - so would something like that be an option for you OP - a cone, or some other obstruction that would stop them parking there?

eddielizzard Wed 15-Jan-14 17:05:42

what a nightmare. how totally inconsiderate. i guess you could talk to them about it or write a letter. Then i would actually go to the council and get lines put down.

sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 18:37:45

Thanks for your replies, it's not that they fully block my drive, like yours did cosy (good idea of yours!)but they park in such a way eg sticking out off their own drive rather than pulling properly on it that means we are blocked. As I said we are stuck in the corner so get 'boxed' in.

ivykaty44 Wed 15-Jan-14 18:41:53

Stop parking in you drive, park where they do, then when they get cross say well I am not able to use the drive unless you park prettily so we now being fed up of not getting out will not park in unless you stop blocking us its up to you

I bet if they cant park near there house they will think twice

sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:30:54

I know Katy, this is what really annoys me, they wouldn't put up with it for a minute but expect other people to.

Thanks everyone for chippn' in.

DoItTooJulia Wed 15-Jan-14 19:34:22

Tell them! That's what I would do!

Next time they do it, say I'd appreciate it if you parked without blocking us in all of the time!

sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:38:10

thanks Julia smile

WhoNickedMyName Wed 15-Jan-14 19:44:29

I'd knock and ask them to move their car every single time you noticed your drive is blocked, even if you just drive round the street and come back 2 minutes later.

You need to make enough of a nuisance of yourself that they get fed up of you knocking, and they start to take notice of whether they're blocking you in every time they park.

sicily1921 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:48:19

You are probably right Nicked, I suppose me and DH just get weary of having to do it and don't like confrontation. We previously lived on a street full of antisocial neighbours and our nerves are frazzled.

Why can't people just be considerate and live and let live, that's all I want.

MerryWinterfel Tue 21-Jan-14 12:39:02

Is there any way you can park at the end of the drive so there is no room for anyone to overhand it?

MaeveWest Tue 21-Jan-14 12:47:21

No idea what you do........ that is easy and NOT awkward, but I agree with asking them to move it every time. My m&d have this blazer-wearing, bespoke loafers nigel havers type character who parks his sports car (it's quite old though) near the exit to their drive and they've been carefully avoiding it for a year. Inevitably though, my Dad eventually scraped it, and the man was over quick as a flash with a bill. My m&d are too classy to get in to a row with the neighbours but if I see this nigelhaversfuckwit when I'm over, he'll get a piece of my mind,because I'm not classy grin

PigletJohn Tue 21-Jan-14 14:22:19

definitely park outside their house.

When they ask you to move it, make sure it takes you a while to find your outdoor shoes, keys, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now