What if he does the same to one of these women? Trigger warning

(5 Posts)
jammygem Sun 12-Jan-14 12:10:09

I'm all a bit flustered and in a pickle, so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

I was raped 4 years ago by someone I met at university. I finally plucked up the courage to report him to the police after encouragement from my therapist, but the police say there's nothing they can do as he's moved to another country, it was too long ago, and the university have no record of him (?! I really don't understand this)

It's stupid and I know I shouldn't, but every few months I do a quick google search of his name just to check he's still in Sweden, as I'm absolutely terrified he's going to return to the UK and I'll see him again.

I just did a search now and saw he has a couchsurfing page. Almost all the people that have stayed with him are young women and I'm really worried about it. What if he does the same to them? What can I even do about it? Who could I report it to, if even the police aren't supporting me? I don't want it to happen to anyone else, I would be devastated and would never be able to forgive myself.

I'm really panicking about this and have no idea what I can do?

ReluctantBeing Sun 12-Jan-14 12:12:42

I really don't know, but I didn't want to leave it unanswered. Perhaps there is a charity for victims that could advise you.

onedev Sun 12-Jan-14 12:18:02

I'm afraid I don't know either - as reluctant says, perhaps try a victim charity & see what they suggest.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Sun 12-Jan-14 12:22:34

You could email safety@couchsurfing.com and let them know the details.

Now, the chances are that they won't do anything as it wasn't a couchsurfing-related assault, but at least you will have done something (and that's probably all you can do right now, from the position you're in).

ikeaismylocal Sun 12-Jan-14 21:43:50

I live in Sweden, if you want me to find out the phone number of the police non emergancy line here I can. Maybe it will add more information to an already open case.

Rape is taken very seriously here.

I am sorry you had such a terrible thing happen to you sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now