Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kittensmctavish Tue 07-Jan-14 13:01:51

I think you need to get in touch with your defence union

NigellasDealer Tue 07-Jan-14 13:02:52

your boss asks you why you split up?
is that really appropriate?

Kittensmctavish Tue 07-Jan-14 13:03:24

Sorry posted too soon.

Sounds very tricky. Not at all black and white. They would be able to advise you

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 07-Jan-14 13:03:27

I think you need to tell someone the truth, but who I'm not so sure.

Tiredemma Tue 07-Jan-14 13:07:55

What can your boss do?

I am a nurse manager, I suspect a couple of my staff might smoke weed- as long as they are not coming into work under the influence, or its not impacting upon their work, or im not finding my Controlled drugs going missing- there is very little I can do.

Tiredemma Tue 07-Jan-14 13:08:47

re the violence and anger- if he gets a criminal record then of course that would impact upon whether he could remain in employment

catcatcat Tue 07-Jan-14 13:11:49

IsabellaRockerfeller Tue 07-Jan-14 13:13:01

Firstly, if your boss asks why you slit up you should politely tell him/her that it is a personal matter and you do not wish to discuss it with him/her.

If your ex is working under the influence of drugs this is gross misconduct, a breach of professional standards and is putting patient's lives at risk.

I would contact your union and the nursing and midwifery council for advice on how to best raise your concerns.

www.nmc-uk.org/Hearings/How-the-process-works

but ultimately you need to report it.

InPursuitOfOblivion Tue 07-Jan-14 13:14:35

I agree with Nigellas. It is absolutely none of your bosses business why you split up.
What is his business however is whether the staff are on drugs. There was a case recently where some one was struck off for not reporting a colleague who they knew to be on drugs. I know you don't have a PIN like an RN but if you are also dismissed you will find it very difficult to work in healthcare again.
That said have you also been having a little smoke yourself? Most employers I know operate a 'random' drugs testing policy and you can be fired straight away if it tests positive. - And rightly bloody so! Drug users have no place caring for vulnerable, sick patients.

IsabellaRockerfeller Tue 07-Jan-14 13:19:24

OP your employer should have a substance misuse policy - this is an example of one www.nmc-uk.org/Hearings/How-the-process-works

Most employers are supportive if a staff member DECLARES an addiction and will e.g. facilitate time off for treatment.

What employers will not tolerate is an employee who comes into work under the influence (whether they have declared the addiction or not). This will lead to disciplinary action.

However, whether your ex loses his job or not your concern. He is risking coming to work under the influence and will have to accept the consequences of that.

SpecialAgentFreyPie Tue 07-Jan-14 13:19:48

None of boss's bloody business why you split up.

But if I was in a position to get parent of my DC help for drugs? Well.. I'd do it. For them and for my DC.

catcatcat Tue 07-Jan-14 13:21:03

catcatcat Tue 07-Jan-14 13:34:08

sisterofmercy Tue 07-Jan-14 13:41:47

He does realise that the THC in cannabis stays in your system for much longer than a night? He sounds like he needs help if it is altering his personality that badly but that's his responsibility to seek rather than yours.

You need to protect yourself by reading your local policy and following that.

PurpleSprout Tue 07-Jan-14 13:44:04

What would be your reason for reporting?

If it's concern about patient care, then please report.

If he's doing a good job, not coming in under the influence and you're not obliged to report, I don't see why you would.

Agree with other's it's not your boss's business, but if you don't feel comfortable saying that 'we weren't getting on' covers a multitude.

is he working while affected by drug-taking? If not, none of his employer's business, unless they have a policy that says employees must report other employees who use drugs even out of hours.

your boss shouldn't ask you about this in the first place. Tell him/her it's personal. If you have reported violence to the police, you may choose to disclose this, of course, but it's up to you. If he is convicted, his employer and the NMC should be informed.

catcatcat Tue 07-Jan-14 13:49:19

catcatcat Tue 07-Jan-14 13:57:06

Bourdic Tue 07-Jan-14 14:00:25

Registered nurses and doctors can be disciplined for drug taking but in my experience are offered an enormous amount if help to help them quit - the important thing is to ask for help before being caught. Tiredemma I am shocked at your response - the behaviour of registered health care professional outside of the work place cannot be ignored by employers and will certainly not be ignored by their regulatory bodies if it comes to light that something they do breaks the law or is otherwise not in the public interest. HCPs are not regulated ( sadly) but I guess no employer would look kindly on them covering up drug abuse if it became known

SweetSeraphim Wed 08-Jan-14 22:09:37

I think you just want revenge, and that's not the right reason to report.

Frontdoorstep Thu 09-Jan-14 21:56:21

Don't see how you could lose your job, you could not know, sometimes the less said the better, keep quiet. As to your boss asking, no need to be rude but just say you don't want to talk about it.

WhoNickedMyName Thu 09-Jan-14 22:00:21

None of your bosses business why you split up.

And you weren't worried about losing your job for 'not reporting' when you were together but suddenly, now you've split up, it's a concern for you. Why is that?

Good point WhoNickedmyName.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now