Should I recommend this house despite this tosser?

(7 Posts)

Not the best worded title but I'm tired.

I am mentoring a PGCE student who's the same age as me. We get on brilliantly and she's a really lovely person. Her and her DP have had me over for dinner and I consider a friend as well as a "mentee." She is of Bangladeshi heritage but has never left England. She's also a Muslim and wears a headscarf. (This is relevant.) Her DP is white British.

They've just moved up here and had to take a short term contract on a little house they're not keen on. They're desperate for something rural where they can grow stuff, have a big garden and keep animals. I live in a cluster of 6 houses in exactly this environment. It's gorgeous and inexpensive. One of the houses is shortly going to become vacant. It would be their absolute dream house based on what they've said, and I feel I should let them know about it.

However.

This chap who lives in one of the other houses is the most racist, intolerant, vile person I've ever met. He is ex forces and has some pretty horrific views, and what I would consider an ingrained hatred of everyone and everything non-British. I had the misfortune to invite him and his wife to my birthday party and he was utterly foul. I know if my friend lived here she could "stay out of his way" but he's the type who would go out of his way to be unpleasant. (He has a long standing grudge against another resident and the police have been round to his a few time in recent months, so God knows what he's been up to.) Every time I've had to spend time with him I've left feeling more and more pissed off by him.

Should I let my friend know about this house? Would it be fair to tell her but mention this man? Really unsure.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 05-Jan-14 20:55:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I was veering towards that, lisa! It just seems a difficult conversation... I really wouldn't want to upset her...but I know she'd LOVE the house.

dontcallmemam Sun 05-Jan-14 20:58:06

I'd be straight up & honest with her.
Informed choice and all that. Sounds like she'd be a lovely neighbour for you.

MmeLindor Sun 05-Jan-14 20:59:25

I'd tell her but warn her about the man.

Does the bigot own his house, or is there a chance that he will leave sometime in the not so distant future?

asandwichshort Sun 05-Jan-14 21:02:12

Remember there will also one lovely person in the 6 houses too! You!! I would tell her everything and then they can make up their own minds!

Thanks guys.
No, the tosser rents and I don't know that he'd be able to move any time soon as his wife keeps a few horses on the land here. He's ALWAYS pushing boundaries and making people feel uncomfortable. I think I will talk to my friend and, as you've all said, just be upfront about the situation. Then there's no pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now