if your partner hit you forcefully in an argument?

(42 Posts)
catcatcat Sun 05-Jan-14 17:43:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

He'd be waiting for the police to arrive, tbh.

Ledkr Sun 05-Jan-14 17:44:36

If not do either. I'd call the police and get his arse arrested.

Beamur Sun 05-Jan-14 17:45:50

I might forgive him (in time and if he apologised), but I think the relationship would end.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 05-Jan-14 17:46:02

I'd call the Police, then chuck him out.
He'll do it again.

Fozziebearmum2be Sun 05-Jan-14 17:46:34

I've stayed previously. He's now an ex.

If dh did it I would leave.

For them to do it signals a massive loss of control of themselves and respect for you. You can't rebuild that.

TheBookofRuth Sun 05-Jan-14 17:46:54

Yeah, same here, I'd press charges. And he'd never get within 100 feet of me again.

You DON'T HIT someone you're supposed to love. Ever. No matter what.

MrsBungle Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:12

I'd call the police. He will do it again.

AnyFucker Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:26

Neither of those things.

he would be leaving in the back of a police car.

are you ok ? Has he done this before ?

thornrose Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:51

I honestly don't know anyone that has been hit only once, sorry sad

AnyFucker Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:55

or she of course

BillyBanter Sun 05-Jan-14 17:49:00

Depends. unless s/he was acting in self defence I'd call the police I hope.

I would call the police. Would I forgive, probably in time but I'd never forget and there would definitely be no relationship afterwards.

I hope you are ok.

SilverApples Sun 05-Jan-14 17:50:03

Intentionally?
I'd leave, or make him leave. Depending on the situation and severity and his response, I might involve the police.

colditz Sun 05-Jan-14 17:50:03

I'd leave, because he would do it again

Pollydingdonmerrilyonhigh Sun 05-Jan-14 17:53:27

Police

I'd leave, no discussion, no forgiveness. I've made it clear to every boyfriend I've ever had that they would only ever get the chance to hit me once. Thankfully none of them ever have. My Dad was a bit too quick to temper when I was a kid and I swore to myself that once I was big enough to stand up for myself nobody would ever get away with hitting me again.

ButICantaloupe Sun 05-Jan-14 17:58:19

I would call the police and then get a divorce.

Once is enough and no apologies can take it back.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Jan-14 18:03:03

How on earth do you hit in a non forceful way?
Hit me and you will be out of my life. Locks changed etc!

Doinmummy Sun 05-Jan-14 18:03:05

I did call the police .

thornrose Sun 05-Jan-14 18:05:46

OP are you ok? Is it you that's been hit?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 05-Jan-14 18:15:56

I'd press charges and throw them out.

Im assuming this is them hitting first and not hitting back, of course. If I had hit first then I would be in the wrong. We'd still have to split. You cant stay with someone once that line has been crossed.

sykadelic15 Sun 05-Jan-14 18:25:08

Can you expand on what happened? Hit you forcefully in what way? On the arm? In the face? Kicked? Open-handed?

It would depend on the situation but most likely... in one case I'd call the police, the other I'd leave. I wouldn't be able to stay because I would be in fear of him. It's those situations where people can turn into doormats out of fear.

If it was a situation in which I hit first, then I'd leave because our relationship is over anyway as it's not like me to be violent. If I was badly hurt, I'd call the police.

MrsMaryCooper Sun 05-Jan-14 18:30:32

I think it would be the end of the relationship.

BillyBanter Sun 05-Jan-14 19:17:48

Theory is all very well, OP, but most people who get hit by their partner don't call the police and don't end the relationship, not for that first hit, because by the time their partner is at the point of hitting them they have already ground them down, set them up to accept it. Or because it seems so out of character there must be some extraordinary reason for it that makes it a one off and the hitter will be apologetic and swear it won't happen again.

Answering your question makes me realise I maybe wouldn't call the police for a number of reasons.

Has something happened to prompt this thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now