Dummy withdrawal

(13 Posts)
Newmomontheblock Sun 05-Jan-14 12:23:04

Please any tips welcome to get the dummy / pacifier dependency finished. My son is 14 months & can only sleep with dummy. Thankfully not needed all day just sleep times. But when I try & take it away he gets upset. Help

ThedementedPenguin Sun 05-Jan-14 12:25:30

Watching with interest. Ds is nearly 16 months and I'm trying my best to cut down dummy time. However, he has them everywhere so always finds one. Trying to take dummy away during the day so he only has it at nap times.

Newmomontheblock Sun 05-Jan-14 12:28:11

My experience at day time easy not to give dummy as so many distractions to divert them with. That's how my little one didn't get into the habit during day time.

feelinlucky Sun 05-Jan-14 12:28:43

I prepared my ds by saying the dummy fairy is coming. We made a game if it. Put it under the pillow, the fairy came and honestly it was no problem at all. I just had to make sure all dummies were gone.

Chivetalking Sun 05-Jan-14 12:30:07

Fourteen months is still very little. Why does he need to give it up?

FWIW mine only had it at bedtime after one but they were around three when they finally ditched it.

They were bribed persuaded to swap in return for desirable toys.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 05-Jan-14 12:30:45

feelinlucky how old was your ds when you did that?

Think I'll have a good hunt today and dispose of a lot of them. That way I can properly control when he has one.

Newmomontheblock Sun 05-Jan-14 12:30:52

My s too young to understand fairy. Any other game u can suggest.

Varya Sun 05-Jan-14 12:34:11

Reduced dummy use to nap or sleep time and then reduce just to overnight. Stropped a bit but accepted this ok at 13 months.

BanjoPlayingTiger Sun 05-Jan-14 12:37:18

We waited until ours were a bit older and then they left them out for Santa who takes them and passes them on to new babies who need them more than they did.
Dd asked once after Christmas and I just said "You gave them to Santa" and that was that. Ds didn't ask for them after he left them for santa. They were both 3 in the spring after they left out their dummies.

We trained them to get up and put their dummy in bed so we knew where it was at bedtime. Each time they went for their dummy they got put into bed. When they left their dummy in bed they were allowed to get out of bed.

Hope you find what works for you!

Thumbcat Sun 05-Jan-14 12:38:16

My DS had his dummy at night until he was 4 and it got a split in it. I told him that I couldn't buy another as they were really for babies and he was ok with that. The dentist said his teeth were fine so I didn't put myself through the trauma of taking it away before then as he really did love it. Maybe lazy parenting but why make life harder?

threepiecesuite Sun 05-Jan-14 12:40:02

My dd gave it up at 3yo, just. It went to the Easter bunny. It was her only comfort and she loved it so we let her keep it longer than most. She's still only 3 but doesn't even remember having it so it hasn't done any harm.
it helped her nap in afternoons and get back to sleep at night so solved a lot of overtiredness issues.

Why make a big deal out of it? They have it for comfort, why deny them? They will get fed up of it when they start talking lots anyway.

It will happen naturally, and you can just gently help it along. Make sure they take it out when talking, then no dummy outside the house, then not downstairs, then only at sleeptime. Eventually they just don't bother with it. No trauma, no stupid stories required!

Newmomontheblock Sun 05-Jan-14 14:08:12

Thanks all useful info. Will try. I have few dentist in my family & they say quicker the better as it becomes a habit hard to break as older they get. Teeth are not really affected but if continued till permanent teething time than orthodontic problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now