Is this nice or a bit OTT?

(12 Posts)
lmac2012 Fri 13-Dec-13 21:56:12

My son started preschool in September and has settled wonderfully and really enjoys going every day. This has come as a huge surprise as he had a lot of seperation anxiety issues when younger.

I am in no doubt that him settling do well is down to his teacher making him feel so secure and creating a very warm and happy environment.

I am quite a shy person and not one for chitchat so I have never actually had a full conversation with his teacher. I will say hello but not alot more unless she has something to hand over about my son which isn't often. She is fairly newly qualified and from what I have seen she is great with the children and is very dedicated and hard working.

My son has made her a bauble and card for Xmas. I was also thinking of popping in a card with a note in to say thank you so much for her hardwork and that is is much appreciated. Also mention how grateful I am that she has helped my son settle in so well.

However, is this a bit over kill? Should I just find some confidence and tell her to her face how much I appreciate her. Will she think it's odd how a random parent who has never really spoken to her is now sending her a special note?! Thoughts please. I know it's not the most important issue in the world but I'm just wondering others thoughts.

SarcasticMrKnowItAll Fri 13-Dec-13 21:57:29

Sounds like a lovely idea, I'm sure she'd appreciate that smile

DrownedGirl Fri 13-Dec-13 21:58:14

I think that's lovely and will be much appreciated. I have done similar myself in the past.

twentyten Fri 13-Dec-13 22:01:37

That is lovely. Go for it!

Pancakeflipper Fri 13-Dec-13 22:02:10

Do.
And if this is part of a school ( or even if not) send an email to the Headteacher. This will go on the teacher's file and be noted ( and go towards the teacher's appraisal etc).

Thanks is not always given whereas complaints are easier to give.

BigfingersInTheBrandyCream Fri 13-Dec-13 22:03:50

do it grin.

Upcycled Fri 13-Dec-13 22:07:16

Agree with pancake.

Preciousbane Fri 13-Dec-13 22:09:08

I think that is a great idea and I know that teachers really appreciate home made cards. Well that's what they have written on MN.

drawohamme Fri 13-Dec-13 22:16:26

Def do it - grin

Mushaboom Fri 13-Dec-13 22:21:34

I am a teacher and think it's a wonderful idea - I always appreciate thanks from parents, whether that's in person or in a note/card!

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 13-Dec-13 22:27:58

Definitely do it. We have recently changed schools and one lady has really helped make the whole thing much easier than it might have been. I wrote a note in her Christmas card. Also, when DD was really ill some staff at the hospital were incredible and I emailed to say so and pass on my thanks. I think we can be too quick to complain and not nearly keen enough to praise.

lmac2012 Fri 13-Dec-13 22:54:34

Thanks all smile Will definitely do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now