Leaving dc's home alone

(29 Posts)
hoppingmad Wed 04-Dec-13 15:14:06

I have to leave the house at 5.30am to drive dh to work (rural area, no buses, dh doesn't drive)
I have dc's 13, 9 & 18months (x2)

Our plan is to take the 2 little ones (get the car warm before we take them out) and just hope they fall back asleep in the car

We are quite happy to leave the older 2 - they are sensible and have done fire plans etc at school. We have mains operated fire alarms and a dog who'd defend them

I will be back by 6.30 at the latest.

Dh is worrying about the little ones being in the car during the winter months though and as they don't wake up until 7.30 normally thinks they'd be fine.

I'm not comfortable with it though. Eldest dc gets them up on a Saturday and plays with them in their room until 8 so does have experience, albeit limited.

I know that the likelihood is they would all be fine but what if I had an accident and was delayed. I guess if I might have an accident they'd be better not in the car though...

Dh and I can't agree. I can understand the logic but they are so little and not sure ds could cope with the responsibility. He can look after himself and dd can look after herself but he has autism and she's only 9.

Even writing it down sounds awful and I can't leave them. I'm still going to post it though so you can all tell me I'm right and dh is wrong

Wwyd?

frogwatcher42 Thu 05-Dec-13 18:13:44

Or get dh a moped. The 6th formers round here drive 30 minutes each way to school on their mopeds. I think you can do that without a test can't you? As long as you have L plates?

Charcoalbriquettes Thu 05-Dec-13 18:14:18

Why is he planning to take his test after the winter? He needs to get on with it, and from experience, don't accept any excuses.

OneMoreThenNoMore Thu 05-Dec-13 18:17:03

Would it be possible for your dh get a moped or similar, to keep him going until he can drive a car? Or for days when the weather is dry, a cycle? Also, why not start learning to drive as soon as he's started to get paid? I learnt to drive over winter and it was good experience to drive in different weather conditions and the dark (although I didn't go out learning in the snow, obv!)

Otherwise, I'd say take the little ones with you. If they're anything like my dcs they'll go back to sleep once the car starts moving.

OneMoreThenNoMore Thu 05-Dec-13 18:18:41

X posts with several others grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now