Should I go out for the evening (leaving v clingy toddler)

(2 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Wed 04-Dec-13 13:32:51

Just want to see what other mums think about my situation. DH thinks our son (17mo) is 'too attached' to me. This sounds a bit ridiculous written down but I have been the one to put him to bed every single night of his life! A week on Friday there is an event I really, really want to go to - and tbh I think I really need to get out more!! (Am a SAHM at the moment.)

Trouble is ds still wakes up multiple times a night - 3 would be average, but on bad nights it can be even more. I still breastfeed him back to sleep at each waking. He goes to bed at 7 and the first one is usually around 10.30 or 11. To properly enjoy this evening I'd need to go out by about half six and might not be back til 11 or 12. Of course, I could leave earlier but be an hour away from home so if ds is going mad I can't just zoom home. I feel like I'm taking a bit of a risk here. I think DH would be ok putting him to bed, as long as I've offered milk before I go, but if I'm not there at the first waking he is capable of screaming for hours until I come back. I just don't want to do that to him. But I'm also starting to feel quite stifled by 17 months of 24-hour mummy duty. Believe it or not I had quite a good job 18 months ago but that feels like another world now. I just want to get some of myself back.

What does mumsnet jury think? I know mums with kids the same age who have left them for several nights by this point! And I'm questioning just one measly night out. But at night he only wants me. What to do????!!!!

Sammie101 Wed 04-Dec-13 13:51:35

I think you should go! Sooner or later you will need/want to go out in the evening so it may as well be now smile

Even if your DS does cry for you, yes it will be upsetting if he cries but it won't do him any harm, and it gives you a bit of a break!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now