Family wedding overseas 4 weeks after due date

(29 Posts)
DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 03-Dec-13 20:36:43

We're very early in the pregnancy game (just 6 wks along). We wouldn't have told anyone about the baby yet except my bil announced his wedding date for next summer and it was 3 days before my due date. Given it's in France and my dh is the best man we thought we should let them know that we have plans that weekend!

They've responded by moving the date back a month but are restricted as they need it to be in the summer holiday for their friends with kids to attend. My dh has thanked them for moving it and said he'll almost certainly be able to go now but me and the baby probably won't. They seem a little put out and we're now wondering if we're being over cautious. This is our first kid so we just can't tell. It's a 10 hour journey each way. Is there any chance the baby and I will be able to go? It should be 4 weeks after the birth but obviously could be way more or less.

crazykat Wed 04-Dec-13 07:44:24

My first dc was two weeks early and I was lucky to have a relatively easy birth which was five hours start to finish. I was up and about shopping for tiny baby clothes when she was two days old and back in my own clothes.

That said no way on earth would I have wanted to drive to France and then do the reverse trip a few days later. I did a similar journey the year before I had dd1 and was wiped outfit a week an I hadn't been through labour.

Flying would be a walk in the park compared to driving but iirc you can't fly that soon after giving birth.

I think as others have said that you'd have problems getting a passport that soon.

I'd just tell BIL that you'd love to be there but it is not going to happen even if baby is early and don't let them guilt you into it. My SIL gave birth a week before our wedding and I'd have been sad but completely understood if she didn't come and we got married 20 minutes away from where they live.

Chesterado Wed 04-Dec-13 08:04:23

We had hoped to attend a wedding 200 miles away in the uk four weeks after my due date with dd. She was 11 days late and even though I had a very straightforward birth and recovery we were nowhere near together enough make it.

Add in the logistics of getting a passport application (registering birth/photos/countersigs/application/delivery) in two weeks... it would be virtually impossible and v stressful trying imho!

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Dec-13 08:15:14

4 weeks after DS was born I could have run round the world. No bleeding, recovered from cs well, dS goo sleeper and pretty placid baby. Not sure if I could have done when he was 2 weeks old.

When dd was 4 weeks old I could not stand up straight. Or think straight. I am not sure I'd even managed to get dressed.

Meglet Wed 04-Dec-13 08:46:39

4 weeks after my emcs I was able to painfully walk to the shops, and regretted doing it when I got home. 4 weeks after my planned cs I managed 2hrs at a friends wedding 1 mile away (XP drove), I lasted 2 hrs and we came home before food as I was wiped out by then.

I really don't think it's wise going overseas, and all the travelling that it involves, so soon after birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now