Advent calendar and DS

(14 Posts)
Hardrockhallelujah Sat 30-Nov-13 13:50:03

My DS nearly 4 saw 2 advent calendars on the side at home. We had a discussion about when he was allowed to start opening the doors and eating the chocolate. He even offered to share his one with his baby sister...

Hour or so later, MIL turns up for dinner as expected. DS disappears off upstairs. I'm cooking so not paying too much attention. DP goes to find him. He has taken both advent calendars, hidden in the bathroom and scoffed half of one before he was caught.

I am really cross as didn't know he was so sneaky hmm. DP thinks it's quite funny. I am in two minds what to do. I think he should not have an advent calendar at all now. Or at the very least, should have the one he already started scoffing to teach him not to steal and be sneaky. DH thinks I should laugh it off and give him the one that hasn't even opened at all.

WWYD?

DustyBaubles Sat 30-Nov-13 13:54:31

I think if you let him have the unopened calendar, you'll look back on this whole thing every december from now on and laugh.

The image of your son hiding behind a door with his chocolate hoard will go down in Christmas legend.

If you get cross, and give him the half eaten calendar, you'll remember it every year on December first, and regret being so hard on your tiny child.

NoComet Sat 30-Nov-13 14:00:26

I'm afraid I'm mean.
He gets the half eaten one.

After he's hit the first empty day or two, you can always have a bar of chocolate lurking.

There is too much chocolate of other peoples about at Christmas not to make it clear it's not all a free for all.

Chopsypie Sat 30-Nov-13 14:06:10

I would tell him off now and use whatever punishment you usually do (timeout etc) then forget about it. If you give him the half eaten one he is being punished a bit more each time he gets an empty door and I don't think that's good for one so young.

Deal with it now, replace the calendar and forget about it.

It'll be funny by next week!

enriquetheringbearinglizard Sat 30-Nov-13 14:07:28

I bet he only meant to have one grin
Funny how when you're so little you can't help getting carried away and then before you know it whoops, you're in hot water and there's no way back.

He's only 3. I wouldn't be too harsh.

ineedsomeinspiration Sat 30-Nov-13 14:14:22

I'm afraid I think it's quite funny too. Yes tell him off at the time but I don't really think its a crime that deserves ling term punishment. Maybe make him share with you and sister.

crazykat Sat 30-Nov-13 14:23:27

I think I'd be cross at first and think the same as you and he doesn't deserve one at all. But the I'd calm down and find it funny later.

Not letting him have one at all will be effectively punishing him for nearly a month and is far too long for a child his age.

He knows he shouldn't have done it hence the hiding so I'd give him time out / remove treats for the day or whatever your usual consequences for bad behaviour then let him have his calendar.

"I bet he only meant to have one"

The only way to stop me having more than one is to snatch it away so I can empathise. smile

I find it funny too, but as has been said a small telling off/punishment now and then it's over is probably best.

Hardrockhallelujah Sat 30-Nov-13 14:39:23

Ok well maybe tomorrow I will give him the half eaten one and say that's what you should have really bit then give him the unopened one...

It probably will be funny in the not too distant future and also taught me that he can't really be trusted around chocolate so I should hide it...

Fairylea Sat 30-Nov-13 14:42:11

I'd just laugh about it and give him "the look".

Kids get excited over Christmas and do cheeky things. It's what it's all about.

LittleMissRed Sat 30-Nov-13 14:45:32

I think it is quite funny and will be a tale that will be repeated for years, although my initial reaction might have been to be cross.

What I do not find funny is that our bloody dog managed to get hold of one of our advent calendars and I am now going to have to rush around on the last day of November to find another one for DS2.

AuditAngel Sat 30-Nov-13 15:14:26

I'm with Star. He knew it was wrong or he wouldn't have hidden.

In my house, he'd get the half eaten one, and I'd re number the doors if necessary so he goes without until half the calendar is enough to do until Christmas Eve.

I would also make sure he can't reach them to help himself again.

Hardrockhallelujah Mon 02-Dec-13 11:31:05

I let him have the unopened one...

Damnautocorrect Mon 02-Dec-13 11:50:08

I'm mean he'd have the half eaten one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now