Tactful approach needed with new neighbour

(9 Posts)

In brief, our old neighbours (of about a year) have recently moved out of their rented flat.
It was empty for about a week and a new tenant moved in just under two weeks ago, on a Saturday evening.

We've not met him (I think it's just a single bloke) but have seen his car, and seen him very briefly in passing. I said 'hello' and he didn't acknowledge me.

Thing is, he has a dog. This is permitted within the terms of the least. BUT....
He goes out for long periods every day. As soon as his car is off the drive, the dog barks. And barks. And barks. Until his car is back on the drive. Today it was five hours.

There is a small, paved garden. There is a park five minutes away.

All I've seen is dog crap all over the paved garden (now cleared) but not seen the dog being taken for a walk, or in fact, seen the dog at all.

There are three other sets of people living in these flats, and at least two lots of us are home all day for several days in the week.

How can we tactfully approach the neighbour about his dog barking? The dog must be very stressed to be left alone all day, and first impressions are that the new tenant is not friendly. I don't expect to know details of everyone's business but I would have thought he'd have knocked to say he'd moved in, and had a dog, etc.

Does nobody have any suggestions?

Bumped into another neighbour today who has been hearing the dogs. He says he's going to contact the RSPCA and report them.

Methe Thu 28-Nov-13 20:15:31

RSPCA will do fuck all. You need to get hold of environmental health and his landlord.

RedLondonBus Thu 28-Nov-13 20:15:43

Doubt the RSPCA will do much. Had exact same issue. You can ask env health for advice. Also your dog warden.

He could leave a radio on, buy a training collar. He has options and so do you, but poor dog sad

RedLondonBus Thu 28-Nov-13 20:16:39

Also, if you all report seperately then this increases the chances of something being done

Is it possible that the dog is just taking a long time to settle in a new place, and it will settle and stop barking?

I think, if you want to address the issue, it would be best to do it directly - knock on the door, and ask him if he knows the dog barks the whole time he is out of the house, and ask him if he can do something about it - maybe get a DAP collar or spray for the dog (this is calming pheromones that might help the dog settle down).

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming.

I'm hoping to move soon so it won't be a major issue for me, but not going to be ideal for new resident if the issue isn't resolved.

Knocking at the door hasn't been an option yet - he's out when I'm home with DD, and comes home when it's her bedtime. She's not old enough to be left alone. I'll keep an eye out for him though.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 29-Nov-13 15:31:19

A note?
Tricky one really, but you could try as there's not a lot to lose if he ignored you anyway, it's not as though you want to be friends.

Hi, I'm X, I live next door/downstairs/upstairs. Hope you're settling in ok, just needed to let you know that the dog's missing company during the day and barks all the time you're out. Understand this is difficult if you're not around, but wondered if you could try a couple of suggestions to see if it helps any.

And then offer some ideas about the radio and the spray or diffuser etc.

Thanks enrique I may try that.

Today's been fairly mixed. He's been out all morning and the dog (actually found out from another neighbour that there are two big dogs) barked pretty much constantly until about two hours ago. He got in 20 mins ago, so maybe the dogs are settling in still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now