Contraception ideas.

(4 Posts)
Annon98 Tue 26-Nov-13 09:37:15

NC for this, so this is a genuine thread.

What 'temporary' alternatives do I have for occasionaly having unprotected sex with my partner.

I stopped taking the pill some time ago and we have been using condoms ever since.
Our children are grown up and we don't intend having anymore but now and again I would like to have unprotected sex.

EdithWeston Tue 26-Nov-13 09:43:59

Have you spotted the MN Family Planning forum? it might be worth having a browse there, as there is a wealth of information about how people get on with different types of contraception.

If you and DP are both sure you do not want more DC, then it's probably worth considering sterilisation. Is there a particular reason to reject a permanent form?

If there is, then you'll either have to continue with barrier methods (perhaps combining with NFP to establish safe period for some condom/cap free days), a nuavaring, a coil (with or without hormones), or an implant.

Andy1964 Tue 26-Nov-13 09:51:27

Thanks Edith, I hadn't spotted that forum.

I'm 39 and my Dr is reluctant to send me for sterilisation saying that it would be easier for my partner to have the snip.
We are discussing this now but I'm also aware it takes a while to get appt's and get referred in our area.

I was wondering if anyone would reccommend the morning after pill on the very occasional (special iyswim) times.

scaevola Tue 26-Nov-13 10:03:47

IIRC, MAP prevents 85% of PGs that would otherwise have been expected. Is that safe enough for you? And it's definitely not a good idea to use it a lot, or more than once in a cycle.

With vasectomy, as well as any waiting time to get the procedure done, you have to wait until a semen analysis gives you the 'all clear' and my DH is still not clear 11 months on. Now, if you go for vasectomy, I hope you get clearance in the normal time frame (16-18 weeks), but you are still looking at quite some time before it is effective, so a coil might be the way to go. You could ditch the condoms now and be covered until a post-vasectomy all-clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now