finance for new car or throw money at current car?

(7 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 19-Nov-13 22:52:51

Our Ford is 2002 and I've received the news today, after taking it a local dealership to fix the speed sensor (£221!!) that it has a few things that need sorting on it. It would amount to £1000 + for these essential repairs.

Now we would like a bigger car as we are having a new addition to the family soon so would like to be able to stretch to a 7 seater or at least a car that has 3 full seats in the back but of course we are skint, I'm on maternity leave and my income is irregular due to being self-employed and we have debts so I really don't know what to do for the best?

If we were to part-ex our car we wouldn't get more than £1000 for it and that's being generous. WWYD in our situation?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 20-Nov-13 09:15:58

I know it's a boring question, but anyone?

Change it. Once they start needing major work then it becomes not worth the hassle IME. I wouldn't spend £1000+ on a 11yo car.

Change it for a more reliable second hand car but use cash if at all possible-car finance deals are dreadful. Bank loan as a last resort.

Yep, change it. Both our cars became expensive 4 years ago and we couldn't afford the monthly cost of stuff going wrong so we bought 2 brand new cars as cheap as possible.

Now had 4 years of nothing going wrong and the peace of mind has been bliss.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 20-Nov-13 12:08:17

Good advice thank you. We have no spare cash to rub together so a bank loan it is then. When you say a new car do you mean less than a year old, less than 3 or 5yrs?

One was brand new (got that 2 k trade in for the car scrapage scheme), one was one year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now