DC being looked after by strangers

(9 Posts)
Athrawes Wed 04-Dec-13 23:29:17

My kid would say that if the nice man in the cafe who served him had given him the chips.

laughingeyes2013 Fri 15-Nov-13 21:31:28

Thanks all. I decided in the end that my gut instinct cannot be ignored and so I have not booked any further sessions.

Now I feel peaceful again.

It's odd that she didn't mention a man but could they have gone somewhere to eat and the man was just a server? Talk to her, it might be easily explained. If her story makes no sense then I would book someone else.

littlegem12 Mon 11-Nov-13 06:08:20

I'd just not book again if you have another option.
I can understand her wanting to get out especially with mum at home that's the hardest situation in looking after someone elses children makes you self conscious and children act up for mummy's attention no one can just be natural, but sounds like she deliberately missed something out. Can you get a childminder who stays at their home with other children?

Roshbegosh Mon 11-Nov-13 04:32:10

Never book her again. It isn't worth the risk to your DC. If you feel uneasy then trust your instincts.

laughingeyes2013 Mon 11-Nov-13 04:23:20

ask ... about what part?

starfishmummy Sun 10-Nov-13 23:34:15

Just ask the person concerned.

bordellosboheme Sun 10-Nov-13 23:17:23

Better to be safe than sorry, I wouldnt let strangers look after your dc. They are too precious.

laughingeyes2013 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:11:58

Due to ill health it has been necessary to employ a couple of different people who are available to babysit my DC for a few hours each week.

One such person is a 'friend of a friend', a professional person who has no children of her own and always takes my DC out of the home to meet up for play-dates with her friend's children.

The last time my DC came home and wouldn't eat dinner because 'the man gave us some chips". The play-date was a mother and child, not a man, and part of me thinks is is bound to be safe and fine, but another part of me feels very uneasy. I am not sure whether it is unease because the babysitter didn't mention the chips or the man, but only mentioned the other child and parent, or whether it is something else, but I don't feel happy about it.

Because I am paying, I would have expected to be able to say where they take my DC, and whether they even leave the house or not. However I can see that this could be seen as being overly protective and unnecessary. Just can't shake off the unease.

So what would you do? Talk to her and ask who the man was with the chips? Just never book her to babysit again? (Ignoring it isn't an option for me!) or anything else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now