Hotel has taken item we left behind

(22 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 02-Nov-13 19:31:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tee2072 Sat 02-Nov-13 19:33:42

I would imagine it was a member of their staff. Call the police as it's theft?

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 19:34:39

its a bit of a leap to accuse them of theft!!

bundaberg Sat 02-Nov-13 19:36:56

you could call back and tell the hotel you're reporting it to the police as a theft, so could they please let you know if they turn up

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 02-Nov-13 19:38:42

AngelsLieToKeepControl Sat 02-Nov-13 19:40:25

One of your children could have picked them up and left them elsewhere. How did you get home? Have you rechecked the car? Or called the train stations/bus stations/taxi service?

Or they may have been binned by mistake.

It's a bit much to think they have been stolen without any proof whatsoever confused

KepekCrumbs Sat 02-Nov-13 19:42:21

Maybe the case got left on the ground by the car as you were loading?

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 02-Nov-13 19:47:24

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 19:48:15

yes but you cant accuse them of lying on " it must be somewhere'

really

QOD Sat 02-Nov-13 19:49:54

I had this once in Cyprus! they said no no no and then I emailed and said I had to report to police as there were about 30 DVDs in my case, the cleaner then "found" it in the store cupboard where it had been out for safe keeping ...

my stupid mothers fault! I was in hospital abroad myself with a sudden illness

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 02-Nov-13 20:42:48

Magna Sun 03-Nov-13 17:04:00

I would get the General Managers e-mail. Send him a politely worded message asking if he could look into it for you as you are positive it was left in the room.

There may be a problem he isn't aware of. I may not help but worth a try.

ZombieMojaveWonderer Sun 03-Nov-13 18:46:54

Personally I think it's your own fault for not checking you had everything before you left the hotel room! I certainly make sure my kids have their iPads before we leave anywhere, and then to blame them and take their pocket money away for a month. They've already lost all those games surely that's punishment enough!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 03-Nov-13 19:44:28

bedouincheek Tue 12-Nov-13 20:16:33

I know I'm arriving late to the convo, but why do you have to replace the games? It would maybe show them a little clearer if they had to save their pocket money to pay for 1/2 a game (each) and you make up the rest, so at least they have 1 game. After that they have to wait for Christmas and Birthdays. I can be pretty sure they will be a little more mindful of whether or not they have their belongings next time. Hard, but if we broke / lost a toy, we didn't get a new one, it was just tough luck. We made sure we were careful!

CarryOnDancing Wed 13-Nov-13 18:28:11

I know this isn't the point of your post but I can't understand why you'd punish your kids. If you checked the room and didn't see them, then how are they to blame? Surely as the person doing the last check, then you are confirming everything has been removed.

I wouldn't put blaming yourself last on the list after accusing the hotel of theft and blaming the kids.

If you expected your kids to be responsible for their belongings then surely you would have looked to check they were carrying them out of the hotel room? If they were empty handed-you know they've left something behind.

popmusic84 Thu 14-Nov-13 08:17:14

A similar thing happened to us with a ds console. We jusp putt it down to experience in the end. Kids got a new one atchristmas.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Thu 14-Nov-13 08:23:55

Hotel workers in the vast vast majority of places, dont steal stuff out of guest bedrooms. It would be a sackable offence and the poorest would rather a regular.income than a box.of DS games.

It is possible that they, like you, havent thought to pull the bed out and check.

It is possible that you are checking the car and luggage as thoroughly as you checked the bedroom.

It is possible that the DCs brought the games out one day (maybe without you realising), and they got lost.

Pretty shitty of you to automatically blame the staff.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Thu 14-Nov-13 08:24:40

That should say even the poorest

Arkina Thu 28-Nov-13 23:13:31

unlikely the police will class it as theft since theres nothing to substantiate your allegation. More likely theyll consider it lost and issue the paper work for that rather than a crime report

DorrisM Thu 28-Nov-13 23:18:19

DH left a very expensive item In a hotel in Poland once, he knew he'd done it (is very forgetful) and range them as soon as he realised, but surprisingly they couldn't find it. We could have claimed for it on our contents insurance but as it was a business trip his company claimed for it on theirs.

RhondaJean Brazil Thu 28-Nov-13 23:22:36

I wouldn't be replacing them regardless if what happened. There's no "have to" about replacing them and it does kids no harm to realise things don't magically appear if you are careless with them.

<eyes broken DVD player on sideboard>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now