Need to buck up

(4 Posts)
englishteacher78 Sat 19-Oct-13 09:37:28

I'm a teacher in two departments so had two performance management reviews and lesson observations.
I got an outstanding on both of these. The problem is, I don't believe I'm that good. Every year I discuss this with my HoD, who doesn't understand why I don't believe I'm good. I've been in tears over this, I'm not stealth boasting. How do I go about getting self-belief?

ElephantsEye Sat 19-Oct-13 22:17:43

How about asking your HoD, separately from your reviews, to be specific about your strengths and the qualities you bring to the job. Could you find a mentor to help you with self-belief on an on-going basis? Or, go to counselling to help get to the bottom of it?

I can identify with this ... I've been kind of head-hunted into a new role by a boss who is singing my praises. I'm kind of baffled because I'm just being me, doing my best. Listening to him listing what he sees in me (as a means of convincing me to take on the new role) has given my confidence a huge boost. I hope you find someone to do the same for you. I bet you are awesome!

mlamle Mon 21-Oct-13 04:20:15

Who did the reviews and observations - was it someone internal? If so, maybe get them to give you some detailed feedback on how they reached their conclusions - getting it laid out into specific chunks may help you to see in what ways you are competent/exceeding the average. smile smile

englishteacher78 Mon 21-Oct-13 05:05:07

I've had the feedback. Doesn't seem to help me see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now