Clothes coming home from nursery smelling of smoke..

(4 Posts)

Thanks for your replies. I kind of assumed it would be no smoking in uniform, but I don't actually know the answer,
Definitely not staff coat cupboard, thry all have their own pegs by the door but two layers they'd been wearing were inside their change bag and smelt smoky.

were the bags hanging with the coats that the staff wear? if the staff have coats smelling of smoke maybe it was transferred to their clothes? I would check the smoking policy, i smoke when outside in my coat and it reeks i dont hang it with my kids coats.

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 15-Oct-13 11:13:56

Ok, I am a smoker.....and I would never wver smoke around my ds. In any situation. He has never ever smeltof smoke....I know this as my mum, dssis and other relatives have been asked repeatedly if he does etc...Anyway...iI had this with ds' s nursery.

In the booklet outlining rules etc it stated that no staff were permitted to smoke in their uniform after or bedore work, or in the daytime during breaks.

Ds came home reaking of it and so I thought id keep an eye out and see what was going on. So I turned up to collect him early during his key workers lunch hour. She was outside smoking in her uniform. I was not best pleased I can tell you.

I did take it up with the staff, but nicely. Just told them that I was aware the rules were different and if they had changed could they please let me know as its not something I would be comfortable with if they changed.

Im not anal about it, but when a child or their clothes come back stinking thats another thing alltogeyher. Especially with the history your dcs have.

Check what the nurserys rules are and then go from therw.

I have a close friwnd who works at a very exclusive nursery....they all nip out for fags as often as possible. I really dont like it.

This has the potential to bring out some frothers, but here goes
The other day I was unpacking my 2yo DTs nursery bag and two tops they'd been wearing when I sent them in smelt quite strongly of cig smoke.
What are the rules/standards on this sort of thing? I assume no smoking for staff on breaks, but I guess before/after work is normally ok?
I'm probably hyper sensitive about this as they were prems and spent 7 weeks on special care, where the staff were rapidly anti smoking. Ds was ventilated and they both have some niggling bronchial issues - in fact just this week we've been nebulising him at home to stave off croup.
I want them to stay at the nursey and they've very stretched so not mych choice of key workers etc
Not sure how to handle this one or what's reasonable?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now