Help!...Do I report it???

(14 Posts)
LucyM13 Mon 14-Oct-13 19:04:52

Hiii I need help on what to do with something i keep discovering over the past weeks.

So my boyfriends sister started working about 6 months ago and constantly needs a babysitter to watch her little girl who is 3. Now heres the mortifying bit when we have gone round to visit on weekends shes been in the house on her own!!! Or while her so called babysitter family member is asleep upstairs so shes just wondering round downstairs by herself. Shes even opened the door to my boyfriend when hes gone there he could of been anyone. I feel so sorry for her shes just dumped in her room all day watching dvds untill her mum gets home anything could happen to her i just dont know what to do. Obviously I should report it but i feel like it should be my boyfriend who does what would you do?

GinGinGin Mon 14-Oct-13 19:07:35

Umm you really need to ask? A 3yr old is on her own??

YoniMatopoeia Mon 14-Oct-13 19:08:14

Is the mum aware that this is happening while she is at work. She could think the relative is awake and looking after her dd properly?

YoniMatopoeia Mon 14-Oct-13 19:08:52

In which case I would tell the mum

YoniMatopoeia Mon 14-Oct-13 19:09:46

Oh. Reread and see sometimes she is actually alone. In that case I would report.

TeaAndSconesTwice Mon 14-Oct-13 19:11:14

Ooooook then!

shimmeringinthesun Mon 14-Oct-13 19:12:50

How many times have you found this child on her own? TBH the first time would have been the last as far as I'm concerned, as this little girl is being neglected, and of course her mum should know. Now. If your boyfriend doesn't want to be involved and tell his sister, then tough, I would tell her, regardless of who it upsets.

If the mum didn't act on it, then i would take it further.

A three year old cannot speak up for herself, you have got to do it for her.
I'm surprised you even felt the need to have to ask on here .

LucyM13 Mon 14-Oct-13 19:13:52

Yes, even the nan has supposed to have left her for abit on her own i cant believe it. I spend most of my time looking after her on the weekend as id rather her be with me than just left ther all day. I mean I dont want to be that person whose taken her mum away from her but then i dont want to be the person who just knows whats going on and doesnt do anything about it ;/

jojane Mon 14-Oct-13 19:14:51

What has been the reaction when you have found her alone (I am assuming you did not leave and leave her on her own again after discovering her home alone!)

LucyM13 Mon 14-Oct-13 19:18:27

No of course not! I stayed there. When her nan came home from work we told her and alls she said was oh he best not do that again! not even the slightest bit of anger i couldnt believe it

WhoNickedMyName Mon 14-Oct-13 19:23:02

Hmm I'm always surprised my this type of thread. A 3 year old on their own in a house and you really need to ask?

The first time I found a 3 year old in a house on their own I'd have phoned the police.

shimmeringinthesun Mon 14-Oct-13 19:33:07

Lucy
some years ago I was on my way to meet a friend on a dark freezing cold night when I came across a small child, dressed only in her underclothes. She was scared and crying.
I asked her if she knew where she lived and she said 'somewhere here'. After knocking on several doors, one of the residents identified her and her house.
When I knocked on the door of her home, a very surly brute answered, and before I could say anything he grabbed her, slapped her round the back of her head, swore at her for making him get up off the sofa, and then slammed the door in my face, leaving me listening to him slapping her and her awful crying.

I could have been anyone that night.
In fact I felt dreadful taking her back to that house after what happened.
But I didn't feel dreadful calling the police there and then. She was taken into care and I found out later, never went back to her 'home'.

It's not about you being that person who takes her away from her mum. It's about keeping a child safe.

LucyM13 Tue 15-Oct-13 00:04:08

Thanks for your help im confronting the mother and informing the local authorities about this xxx

sherbetpips Tue 15-Oct-13 13:04:30

There is a housing estate backing on to the end of the M60 in Stockport, a lady I used to work with would regularly pull over to pick up a toddler that would be wandering around on the grassy hill next to the road. Parents never gave a crap and they often weren't in when she got there so she used to take the kid home and drop it off later. She never did anything about it though, didnt want to interfere/get beaten up by dodgy parents as she lived next door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now