70s throwback racist. what would you have done?

(5 Posts)
LimitedEditionLady Tue 22-Oct-13 08:04:52

I tend to just say but not angrily even though i am "sorry we dont do racism in our house"

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 12-Oct-13 23:20:51

Unfortunately my DFil can be a bit like this. I think it's just how he was brought up. Thankfully dh is nothing like it.

SirChenjin Sat 12-Oct-13 23:11:25

People like that don't think they are doing anything wrong. I think I would have told him he was being insulting, rude and obnoxious and walked away, spoken to other people and got the hell out of there asap. Then I would make sure that I never crossed their doorway ever again.

Talkinpeace Sat 12-Oct-13 23:06:45

nothing you can do will change him
make your disapproval clear by calling him Alf and then let it wash past

knickernicker Sat 12-Oct-13 21:40:09

Last night at dd's friend's party. Friend's mum is lovely, never offensive in any way. The dad was shouting about 'fucking wogs.' He told me that there are no attractive Jews. He,asked me how old my mum was when she had me by saying, 'How old was the bird?' He repeatedly called people dicks and nobs including his 7 yr old dd's friends (not to their faces).
I challenged some of this but there,was such a cavalcade of offense I didn't know where to begin. I looked at his wifes face to see if she was offended but nothing registered.
She btw absolutely adores him and respects him any they're a very happy cohesive couple. I don't get it What would you have done? If I'd,walked out his wife would have been upset and he'd have laughed about what a dick I was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now