About the cat sitter that stayed

(17 Posts)
tb Tue 08-Oct-13 11:01:33

I think in your mum's position, I'd think about changing the cylinders in the external door locks. Someone that's cheeky enough to stay in the house while cat sitting wouldn't think twice about having another 'holiday' there imo.

guanosoup Thu 03-Oct-13 19:51:59

I think its one to chalk up to experience then!
I won't be recommending her! grin

guanosoup Thu 03-Oct-13 19:49:57

Mum did not notice anything amiss, house was all clean and tidy on her return. If the cleaner hadn't said anything, I don't think she'd have twigged.
But the utility bill has wound her up, its far higher than mum would use in a normal summer week.

As long as nothing was stolen there's not a lot your Mum can do about claiming back the cost of gas and electric.

I just wouldn't use her again, or give a reference if asked.

usualsuspect Thu 03-Oct-13 19:43:55

I wouldn't do anything, I would be glad my cat had some company.

As long as she didn't trash the place,I'd let it go.

D0G Thu 03-Oct-13 19:42:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vatta Thu 03-Oct-13 19:41:35

Well, it sounds like the cat sitter breached the terms of her arrangement ie by staying, using up utilities etc. Even if there was nothing in writing, your mum still had a contract with the cat sitter.

Your mum should work out her costs for the utilities (and anything else, eg were any groceries used up?), and write saying she has evidence that the cat sitter used the house, which had not been agreed, and she wants to be reimbursed for the costs. I'd probably ask for a full refund as well, but I'm stroppy that way.

She should also say in the letter that if she doesn't get the costs by x date, she will go to the small claims court.

OnaPromise Thu 03-Oct-13 19:41:12

Yes they do like and need company - not anything as much as dogs though.

OnaPromise Thu 03-Oct-13 19:39:27

What stuff was left around? Do you think was actually sleeping there? Just curious - I don't think you have any recourse as she was given access.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Thu 03-Oct-13 19:37:15

No wonder the cat was nervous if you were talking about taking it to the kennels!! shock

Cats generally prefer catteries smile

That aside, it wouldn't bother me that someone had stayed, we used to get someone to stay in our house, with our cats - it's nicer than them being alone but I wouldn't like the sneaky side of it.

I wouldn't do anything though.

If she left it clean & tidy I would use her again, but speak to her about staying and explain that I'm not as stupid as she may think... but that if she is going to use my house while I'm away, I wont be paying for her opening a tin of cat food while she's there! wink

guanosoup Thu 03-Oct-13 19:36:47

Its just the sheer bloody cheek of it thats winding me up! smile

BOF Thu 03-Oct-13 19:33:48

Not sure why that exclamation mark appeared...

BOF Thu 03-Oct-13 19:33:04

As long as she cleaned up after herself, I wouldn't really care tbh- Id be pleased the cat had the company. But then I don't know anything about cats- do they like!or need company in the same way dogs do?

guanosoup Thu 03-Oct-13 19:32:55

I think through an ad in the paper

Floralnomad Thu 03-Oct-13 19:30:15

As you didn't get her from an agency I wouldn't imagine you had much recourse ,where did she get her from ?

pooka Thu 03-Oct-13 19:29:40

Nothing but chalk it up to experience IMO. obviously never use her again. But I'm not sure if there's anything you can actually do.

guanosoup Thu 03-Oct-13 19:28:06

My Mum went on holiday for two weeks this August. As her cat is particularly precious nervous, it won't go into kennels, so Mum hired a cat sitter.
During the fortnight, Mums cleaner went in as usual, and commented to Mum when she got back that the house was not tidy, and had lots of stuff that wasn't Mums around... It already sounds suspicious to me that the cat sitter was there longer than the 20 minutes a day she was paid for.
So, yesterday, Mum got a gas and electric statement that shows the gas and electric use were both high in the time mum was away, (she gets a graph type printout) and as Mum is very tight frugal, she knows exactly how much she uses, and when.
So, I am convinced this woman stayed at mums whilst mum was away, what recourse do we have?
btw, woman.is self employed, not thtough sn agency, and Mum doesn't want to 'make a fuss'
So, WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now