Crèche staff lost my DD!

(54 Posts)
PookBob Sat 28-Sep-13 09:11:35

My DS3 and DD1 attended a crèche run by our local children's centre yesterday, while I was on a course.

At the end of the course I went into the crèche room to pick them up. DS was sat playing but I couldn't see DD anywhere. One of the ladies noticed me looking round and asked another member of staff where my DD was. She replied that DD was with third member of staff. I said she wasn't as I had just seen the third member of staff washing pots in the kitchen.

So the first two staff and I started looking for DD, she was found outside, on her own on the wooden play equipment. No one had known where she was, or had even noticed her absence. The three members of staff had only been caring for 7 children.

My DD was fine, I picked her up and gave her a cuddle, got my DS and went home.

But now it's all I can think about. I don't know how long she was outside on her own, definitely 5 mins minimum. A lot could have happened in 5 mins, it didn't though I know.

The play area she was found in is right next to the road. Whilst the centre is gated, the gates are not locked as it is a drop in centre.

WWYD? Should this be recorded as a 'near miss' type event? Should I take it further, or just be glad my DD is safe? I really can't stop thinking about DD on her own.

NomDeClavier Mon 30-Sep-13 09:24:18

chelsbells's nursery sounds like a fairly standard missing child protocol. There should definitely be a record and training identified for the staff member(s) responsible as a result.

Have you read the OFSTED report? Was safeguarding flagged up as an area of concern?

I'd also ask to see their relevant policies. If they don't have one which covers this eventuality then I would be worried what else they didn't have.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Mon 30-Sep-13 09:33:34

I hope you do complain and get some urgent action. The way they run the place must be seriously flawed if this can happen - why weren't there checks in place to assign responsibility to one person for knowing where a one year old is? Why didn't them realising your child had been left unattended not set off some serious alarm bells? Really unsafe, and needs dealing with.

Talk to crèche and complain to ofsted.

LimitedEditionLady Mon 30-Sep-13 09:44:04

I think i wouldve fruit looped on the spot.well done for being calm.

Mummyoftheyear Sun 06-Oct-13 12:23:48

She's a one year old! Oh my goodness. I'm guessing that you won't be taking them back there? I hope that you have good alternatives. If not, I'd make my complaint in person to the manager and explain how deeply disturbing this is and has been for you, that you no longer have faith in their supervision, etc. Request some means of reassurance that this will not happen again (change in the way children are led from one area to another, which is assigned to whom , etc. can't believe so few children, too. 7:3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now