.......or rather, what would you say if.......

(7 Posts)
ShimmeringInTheSun Thu 26-Sep-13 20:59:44

You went to an interview and were asked that dreaded question

'Please tell us about yourself?'

*Do they mean professionally - surely that would be on your CV?

*Do they mean personally - and how much do you reveal? Do you tell them you like doing handstands in the bath, or that you know a song in the German/French/Latin language? Or would it be more of a standard 'I have 3 children, do the zumba on Monday nights, and my favourite food is spaghetti!'

Or is there another hidden aspect of the interviewee they are looking for?

Gloriousmud Thu 26-Sep-13 21:01:41

Would totally depend on the type of job I was going for. But would probably do a brief summary of both.

If I could do a handstand in the bath, I would keep that revelation for the first Christmas party.

SPBisResisting Thu 26-Sep-13 21:02:33

Unless it's a very informal interview, I take it to mean tell us about your career history to date, your current job and why you want, and think you'd be the best person for, this one.

gintastic Thu 26-Sep-13 21:04:41

At my last interview, I used it to get enthusiastic about what I could bring to the job. I got the job, currently working my notice grin

Hassled Thu 26-Sep-13 21:07:59

Something bland that ends with "and that's why I've always wanted to be a knife-juggler and have applied for this job".

So "born in Eastern Samoa, studied Hieroglyphics at X place, married with 17 children and 3 pet gerbils, started working as X with X company" and then rough outline of career progression/circumstances which led you to apply for this job. That sort of thing. All with bouncy enthusiasm that tells them you would fit right in as a knife-juggler.

They will be mindful of any gaps in your CV and/or where you contradict your CV, especially if it's the sort of job that might require an enhanced CRB.

ShimmeringInTheSun Thu 26-Sep-13 21:33:57

Thanks for the quick responses and advice!

Gintastic - congratulations flowers

I ask this as its almost 2 decades since I last had an interview, and to be honest, I'm not that comfortable talking about myself.

Hassled - I like how you've made it into a kind of summary - almost a little bit of everything.

As for the hand-standing in the bath - that's my 2nd place party trick - I daren't put my first, as it will definitely out me wink

HootsADaisy Thu 26-Sep-13 21:38:45

If it's a normal interview in a normal industry (ie not something über creative) I'd use it as a launch pad to talk about my relevant experience, referring back to my CV (which I'd expect them to have in front of them).

I don't ever share personal stuff, including party tricks, because it's none of their business. also because watching telly and drinking wine never got anyone a job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now