Complain to nursery over poo

(14 Posts)
Yawner247 Sun 22-Sep-13 17:26:47

I'm happy with dd at nursery and she is happy too she's been going to the nursery for over a year and has been using their toilets for the last four months...this is the first time she's been sent home with poo in her pants and complained of a sore bum when coming home from nursery! Would have loved to have seen the deleted commenthmm

stantonherzlinger Sun 22-Sep-13 09:11:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cindy34 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:38:26

Children hold poo in, they refuse to go on a 'strange' toilet, they won't go if they are busy playing - there are all sorts of possibilities.

Nursery staff encourage children to be independent, so do not constantly check if knickers are dirty. They can not force a child to sit on the loo, just nag a bit if they spot a child give indication they need to go.

How many children in the class, how many staff? There may not be enough staff (don't know which country you are in, so don't know staff:child ratio, but even in the UK staff ratio is not on a per room basis, so there could be insufficient staff in a particular room/class).

If you are unhappy about the care provided or the attitude of staff, consider what other childcare options you have. Perhaps you would be happier having DD in an environment with less children, such as with a childminder but would DD be happier? Look at the bigger picture, is DD happy? Are you generally happy with the nursery? Or is this the final straw and it is time to leave?

Charotte31 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:30:00

You are not "over reacting" at that age she should be helped when using the toilet, to make sure she's goes, wipes herself and washes her hands. I worked in nurseries for years and this happened for all children from potty training right up to 5 year olds. Also the stuff know which children can manage on their own and which children need more help. If she had had an accident id like to think someone would have noticed. I would say something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Hanginggardenofboobylon Sun 22-Sep-13 08:15:37

They teach independence and encourage kids to go by themselves and wipe themselves. If your DD doesn't tell the staff she's had a poo they won't know. I had this for a while and encouraged DS to tell staff when he'd had a poo so they could check he'd wiped properly.

Littlefish Sun 22-Sep-13 07:49:04

You are over reacting.

Iwaswatchingthat Sun 22-Sep-13 07:39:30

Ah I see what you mean now. I had assumed she was about 3 and a half.

Yawner247 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:08:14

She is 2.4yo sorry thought I'd put that....I think it is a one off and has probably come from the independent side she is showing more of but would've thought they'd still check her as previously we have had dirty pants sent home where they have said a lil mark in her pants so we changed them...this was quite a big stain that could've easily been a wet poo in her pants that dried! I guess yesterday I was quite upset she had been sent home like this and had potentially been left like it for two hours! The complaint was more about the employees attitude as it was quite "whatever it happens all the time quit your moaning" I guess I was expecting her to be a lil more apologetic and sincere than she was smile

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 21-Sep-13 10:01:02

If it's a one off, I really wouldn't bother complaining to the nursery.
What do you expect them to do/say?

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 21-Sep-13 09:53:20

How old is your dd?

Both my dd regularly used to get sore bums from not wiping properly when they started nursery. A poo stain sounds more like that and is different from her pooing her pants and not being changed,

I did not really expect the staff to be in there checking her bottom. I used to keep practising it with her at home.

How old is she? Does she wipe herself or need help? Ds has recently potty trained at quite a late age and he came home with poo stained pants once and they said he'd cleaned himself up. I just said he still needs a bit of help and to check he's clean and its been fine since. Could it be something like that had happened?

Gigondas Sat 21-Sep-13 09:47:58

What are you bothered about? Poo stain or fact dd needed to go? I don't think its that bad if she had been 2 hours before.

Yawner247 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:42:12

Anybody?!

Yawner247 Fri 20-Sep-13 23:18:12

Dd came back from nursery and had a huge dry poo stain in her pants we live five mins from nursery and she complained of a sore bottom so went straight to the loo on our return. I rang the nursery and asked when she had last gone to the toilet they said she had gone two hours before I got there....the ladies attitude was much a case of oh well what do you want me to do and said oh sorry about that! There was no reassurance that it wouldn't happen again or a sympathetic response at all it just seemed a bit wrong! So wwyd?! Complain/not I don't want my dd to be treated differently or us for that matter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now