Help!

(7 Posts)
Dramamama Fri 13-Sep-13 10:20:07

Ok so dh & I are off to a friends wedding next week and had our own wedding last month, we didn't specify what we'd like as we were happy for people to pick freely and these particular friends gave us some money. Trouble is they have asked for money and we can't afford to give them as much as they gave us as we have 2 dc and only dh works (both our friends have well paid full time jobs in the city) so I don't know whether to just give them what we can afford or just get them a lovely present from not on the high st or the like? Wwyd?

ZingWantsCake Fri 13-Sep-13 12:05:27

hmmm.

I think money, what you can afford, but certainly not the same amount as received.

if you are good friends here's a fun way to do it:

say you can afford £20.
get 20 £1.00 coins and do a "pass the parcel", but in each layer attach a pound to something silly like a packet of tissues or a toothbrushes or a tin of baked beans.

attach a note to explain how many items they need to look for. I'd be surprised if they cared how much money they received from you - and would appreciate the novelty factor way more!!

we did this to DH youngest brother and wife (we did add a cheque in the very middle folded in a matchbox and only attached pennies to all the tesco value "treasures" - they thought it was hilarious and still tell people about it!

we also POSL when we received several thank you cards with wording like: thanks for the toothbrushes- now we can start our marriage with nice clean teeth etc!grin

ZingWantsCake Fri 13-Sep-13 12:07:22

*I'd be surprised if they cared how much money they received from you - *they would appreciate the novelty factor way more!!

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 13-Sep-13 12:09:18

Just give them what you can, with love. I wouldn't recommend the pass the parcel thing, though.

574ejones Sun 15-Sep-13 19:42:13

Give them what you can afford and include a lovely handwritten note about friendship and wishing them well in their future married life.

peeohayess Mon 14-Oct-13 01:31:08

They gave you money, and they want money? Can't you just give them their money back, iyswim? confused

BillyBanter Mon 14-Oct-13 01:51:14

Just give how much you would give if your wedding hadn't happened yet.

Alternatively they will have given you money based on what they can afford. To reciprocate you should do the same. Not the same amount, the same considerations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now