Money or Career WWYD

(2 Posts)
AlmostAway Sat 07-Sep-13 00:07:39

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge that I am sure that this is ranked up there in the "nice problem to have" category, but I would appreciate some opinion on this one. I have name changed for this.

Here is my situation: DH is a few years older than me. We have very different professions in very different industries. We started a family a few years ago, they are still pre-school age, and I left my job whilst pregnant our first to accompany him on a posting overseas with every intention of returning to my career afterwards. It took me far longer than I expected, and a great deal of heartache, to re-enter the work place which I did just a few short months ago. I should point out that get a lot in terms of personal validation and recognition from my career.

Now DH has been offered another posting overseas, this time with a very generous package, rent paid, international school paid, low tax etc etc. We could basically retire when we came back. However, I would have to forsake my career in return. Having been through this already I now know that having one "maternity" gap on my CV along with a a few short months with a new employer, there is virtually no chance of returning to conventional career path after this. I initially thought that I could find a position when we relocated and was asked to send my CV in several times, but following a meeting yesterday, I have been told that there are no opportunities for women with a young family.

So WWYD? Money or career?

SockQueen Sun 08-Sep-13 18:43:10

Tricky. Is this a one-off opportunity that will never come up again for your DH? What would be his alternative if he turned it down - could he stay on in his current job? What does he want to do? Would he be really miffed to have to stay in the UK and/or have to work longer before retirement?

Like you, I gain a great deal of satisfaction from my career and would never feel comfortable being a socialite expat wife long-term (my lack of style and cooking ability would mean I would be terrible at it too!). Knowing that going with this amazing opportunity would mean the likely death of my own career would make it a heartbreaking decision for me, so I completely empathise.

If there's any way you could defer going away for a few more years, to get yourself established again and so on, then I would take that option unless your DH is dead against it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now