house on fire, emergency services responded. should I go and offer help? would you?

(14 Posts)
ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 13:59:13

it's fucking awful. I called 999 to report black smoke, operator said they had responded.
I can still hear sirens. I just want to go and help. it was my first thought after I hung up with ES.

honestly it's not morbid curiosity. my heart is racing and I feel so worried. sad
it could be someone we know. who needs kids picking up from school or something.

what to do? I'm staying put but I just want to go there to see if I could help.
I don't want to appear nosey orca busybody, because it's not about that.
I'm thinking if it was us I'd want people to rush and help..

Poor people. still more sirens......oh God.
I hope no one is hurt.

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 13:59:55

*nosey or a
ffs

Sirzy Fri 06-Sep-13 14:00:49

I would walk around and see if there is anyone there who needs help (as in comforting). Perhaps take a flask of tea with you and offer them a drink?

Madlizzy Fri 06-Sep-13 14:01:31

Go and see. If you can help in any way, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

solarbright Fri 06-Sep-13 14:01:52

Yes, go see if it's someone you know. Yes, offer practical help to the victims. You'll be surprised how few people actually do that.

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 14:02:03

I called 999 at 1.30 pm.
I can still hear sirens, coming and going.
what should I do.

nancerama Fri 06-Sep-13 14:03:11

Some very close friends had their house burn down a few years ago. They had nothing except the clothes they were standing up in.

I expect the people concerned would be incredibly grateful for someone who could help them contact their insurers (who will hopefully help them find a place to stay) at the very least. They will probably need access to a phone and Internet.

TheHandbagOfGlory Fri 06-Sep-13 14:05:54

This happened where we live last year, it was someone we knew, I asked the policeman who was blocking the road if the family needed anything and we were able to give them some desperately needed baby items to keep them going. Was awful for them and a year later they are still not home sad

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 14:25:28

thanks for replies.

I drove round but the police is already blocking the street.
I offered help but they said to not worry.

I did call the schools where my kids go to to notify them - just in case there are further roadblocks and parents panic that they can't get to school on time or the highschool school bus is delayed.

gosh, I felt like an attention seeker (which I normally am) but this is not like that, I just didn't want people to panic. the office staff did thank me, they agreed it is good for them to know.

there's nothing else for me to do now (except for prayers)

I so hope there's no one hurt.

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 18:51:30

just a quick update - a man in his 40s was airlifted to hospital, smoke inhalation.
house is destroyed from the explosion and fire, two adjacent houses and a car also damaged from fire..

no other people injured.
all nearby roads are still blocked, it is considered a serious incident.

I think I'll ask MNHQ to delete this as my intention was not sensation seeking. I only wanted to help and needed some advice - thanks for replies.

(naive little me - there were 8 fire engines attending and it took 40 firefighters to put the fire out! took them over 2.5 hours)

I really hope he recovers soon.

LEMisdisappointed Fri 06-Sep-13 18:56:21

Sounds awful OP, i understand your feelings of wanting to help. Just to say that Red Cross volunteers are often called to these situations to offer help re organising emergency accomodation if needed (esp in middle of the night etc) and providing clothing if needed. I wasn't aware they did this until i did a course when i joined.

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 19:09:34

I wonder if I should contact them

LEMisdisappointed Fri 06-Sep-13 19:17:24

Zing, i think the firebrigade actually call them on some occasions as they are there to put the fire out and rescue people (because they are wonderful people!) but obviously don't have the time/resources to assist afterwards and people need help.

ZingWantsCake Fri 06-Sep-13 19:21:11

yes LEM, I've been reading updates.
there were some called out as some people had to be evacuated. I'm sure their immediate neighbours will be helpful, but I'll keep an eye on local news in case there will be a fundraiser or such for him or stiuf needed for any of the affected people.

what a nightmare.

thanks anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now