DH sacked [shock] relocation only option - Dorset

(14 Posts)
TGS Fri 09-Aug-13 15:06:54

Out of the blue my DH has been given 3 months notice. Job prospects in Staffordshire limited. He has specific job and whilst browsing has found 6 jobs in Dorset that all look really promising. He has interviews lined up for last week of August - we're going down for a recce.
I'm left with the unenviable task of trying to figure out where we'll all live. Two DS (12 and 7), large dog. I'm inbetween jobs at the mo' and our house was about to go on the market anyway so it seems the universe is behind our big move.
Anyone got any insider info on Bridport/Dorchester/Weymouth? Where to avoid? We're currently really rural, boy's schools tiny, really lovely local community - we'd quite like to be a bit closer to people in our next house than we are now but want to feel part of something.

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks smile

PeterParkerSays Fri 09-Aug-13 15:11:13

Sorry to be picky but your DH hasn't been sacked if they're giving him 3 months' notice - he's been made redundant. You get sacked if you do something wrong.

My big concern, knowing Staffordshire, is the difference in house prices. You'll be lucky to buy anything with the profit from a Staffordshire house sale in Dorset, and are unlikely to be able to rent because of the dog.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 09-Aug-13 15:15:59

TGS, we relocated to v. rural Dorset 2.5 years ago, between Sherborne and Dorchester.

We were in a rural location in Gloucestershire prior to this.

DD's were both in a tiny village school, and have moved to another village school approx 70 pupils.

Our village is gorgeous, we love it and have been made to feel really welcome, we feel like we have always lived here.

We love Bridport, it has quite an arty feel to it, lots of great little cafés etc.

We only tend to go to Weymouth to shop, so can't really comment on housing over there.

We had 3 months to sell, find a house, set DDs new school up, but we did it! And so glad we did. smile

JakeBullet Fri 09-Aug-13 15:17:12

Another vote for Bridport, have friends there with a child and they love it. Only a few minutes drive to a beach as well.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 09-Aug-13 15:18:08

Peter that's not absolutely true about the dog and renting. We looked at renting as we couldn't find what we wanted, and in each of the places, they agreed to having our pets.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 09-Aug-13 15:19:33

We are pretty spoilt with beaches, spent yesterday at The Hive, and the weekend at Studland, love Dorset smile

Ragwort Fri 09-Aug-13 15:19:48

Dorset is a lovely county, we have family and friends there and they have a very happy lifestyle, schools are generally very good, beautiful countryside and beaches.

Agree that property prices might be a bit different.

Good luck.

We moved several hundred miles to a completely new area (for work) a few years ago, we knew no one and nothing about the area but quickly settled in - go with a positive frame of mind and I am sure it will all work out well for you. smile

trikken Fri 09-Aug-13 15:20:04

I love Dorchester. Dont really know Bridport, Weymouth I find a bit bland and boring and too busy in summer months. I try to avoid Weymouth as much as possible.

TGS Fri 09-Aug-13 16:17:11

Thank you so much everyone-

PeterParkerSays - redundant - yes you're right. It's complicated, as he's self employed - I won't bore you with the details smile

We're really lucky that DH has a very good job, we might not be able to afford exactly what we're in now but house prices on the outskirts of Bridport don't seem too different from here - we're on the border with Cheshire so some property around here is 'wowsers!' (Not mine I might add).

So pleased for the thumbs up for Bridport/ Dorchester - I can't wait to come and see it all for myself. Just need someone to finish the building work on the house!

My biggest concern is my 12 year old DS, him making new friends, being involved etc.. Is there much to do for young teenagers - or is it hanging about on street corners?
Re - schools - What's the general opinion on secondary in the Bridport area?

I wish I'd posted on here two weeks ago! You're brill guys. Thanks.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 12-Aug-13 15:34:49

We're in south Somerset and love Bridport and Burton Bradstock (village next door). Beaches are lovely. Sorry not sure about schools. We live just across the border and hope to move to Sherborne - the secondary there has a good rep - the gryphon school.

TGS Mon 12-Aug-13 19:24:47

Thank you PrincessScrumpy. I can't wait to come down at the end of the month and have a look around.

TGS Mon 02-Sep-13 12:11:51

Just to update you all after your lovely advice. Got back from Weymouth on saturday, DH has been offered a job in Bridport and once our house is sold we're thinking about buying a guesthouse in Weymouth *didn't see that one coming!
We had a fabulous week and are super excited!!

emmakins Thu 31-Oct-13 23:01:52

Hi TGS, did you make your move in the end? We too are new to Dorchester, having moved here in August of this year. Bridport is lovely, I went for the first time last weekend. Would be great to hear how you are settling into Dorset life?

LittleRobots Thu 31-Oct-13 23:04:55

Dorset is wonderful. Congratulations on the move! I'm not in your area but love the amazing coast and country we have in Dorset. Hope you soon settle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now