My sister is having panic attacks .. shall I tell her I know?

(5 Posts)
holidaybug Tue 06-Aug-13 21:34:44

So I heard from my Mum tonight that my sister passed out at work after having a panic attack. I'm not 100% sure about what is causing this but I know she is always short of money.

The reason this came up in conversation is because I am having panic attacks about a house purchase and my nerves have been shot to high heaven recently - I can barely function. Should I mention this to my sister as possibly there is something genetic or that we are suspectible to? My Mum is always a nervous wreck too. I'm not sure what to do as my Mum said not to say anything.

chillisbopper Wed 07-Aug-13 03:58:48

I have an anxiety disorder and have been having panic attacks for the last 7 years. It wasn't until DH came along 3 years ago that I had any support.

I have 5 older sisters and would have loved even one of them to be there for me during any of this, I imagine that would have been easier for them if they suffered from it too because they'd understand. Or maybe they do, I don't actually know, my family opt for the "stiff upper lip nothing's wrong" approach rather than talking lol. But even now I feel DH is the only one who understands/tries to, so it isn't always easy as I try to hide things from others.

What I'm trying to say is that your sister might actually appreciate knowing you are there for support and even that you can relate. So I think it's worth trying to discuss with her.

If you are worried she might be embarrassed or upset you could always not mention you know but perhaps go to her to talk about your experiences and how you are feeling. She may then feel that she would be helping/supporting you and confide in you herself about what she is going through. That way you are helping each other smile.

Good luck thanks

rubyrubyruby Wed 07-Aug-13 05:11:02

I would approach her by talking to her about your own experiences. Say that your worried and ask if she's experienced anything similar?

Hopefully she will open up to you

Relaxedandhappyperson Wed 07-Aug-13 05:50:47

My brother has had them. I started getting attacks that might be panic or might be cardiac (palpitations etc - have a heart problem).

Although we aren't that close he has been really understanding and helpful about how to deal with them. I would definitely talk to your sister. It was a bit awkward ringing up and saying "tell me about your panic attacks", but I was very glad I did.

There's definitely a nervy streak in our family: it goes back at least 4 generations. Not much you can do about the genetics but I think the thinking about managing it is much better these days: my grandma used to have Valium tablets but still get massively worked up about everything.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 07-Aug-13 06:19:53

I think it always helps a person to have support. Plus you are her sister, and understand due to having it yourself. I would definitely talk to her and share with her. Good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now