Do DC need their own rooms? (Attempt 2!)

(32 Posts)
extracrunchy Fri 02-Aug-13 16:32:48

DH, DS (aged 2) and I currently live in a nice 2 bed flat with extremely reasonable rent in an area we love. DS is happy and settled and recently started at a great nursery very nearby.

DD is due in December and I'm wondering if/when we're going to need more space. We have a good size living room and garden, so lots of room to play and initially DD will be in with us, so no drama. However, at some point DD will be ready to move out of our room - likely around 6 months old if she's anything like DS - and if we stay she'll have to share with DS.

Do you think it would be very disruptive for them? Does anyone have any experience of a toddler and young baby sharing? Do they ever both sleep peacefully?

Another side note is that if they do share they'll have to swap rooms with DH and I as there's not quite enough space in the current kiddie room for another bed/cot alongside all the toys and clothes storage. If we decide to stay, would you move DS now so he's properly settled by December, or wait till they'll be sharing and do it then?

I'm probably massively over thinking this and sorry it's long and mundane, but thanks for reading! smile

gaelicsheep Tue 06-Aug-13 01:05:27

Sorry, I realise the person who said that was LadyLech, the poster right below me. How rude of me, sorry!
If my two were the same sex I'd have no quarms about them sharing until they were much older. As it is we were very very lucky to find a 3 bed house we could afford. Otherwise they'd still be sharing, or DD would be with us!

nooka Tue 06-Aug-13 01:10:24

We've a 16mth gap between our two and dd didn't go in with ds until she was about a year old as she was a nightmare to get to sleep and we didn't want him crying too! So we had about six months where dh and me slept in the living room (we didn't want to disturb dd either).

They shared a room until ds was about 6 or so because that's the point we moved into a bigger house, but I don't think it was an issue, and even now they sleep in each others bedrooms on a fairly regular basis if one of them can't sleep or has a nightmare.

My mother did try and suggest that some sort of hanky panky might be a risk (they are 14 and 12 now) which I found very irritating (my mum has weird ideas about boys/men and sex). I don't think they would be happy if they had to share now though.

zingally Mon 02-Sep-13 13:52:20

I shared a room with my older sister until I was 5 and we moved house. I don't remember it EVER being an issue. I didn't know any different, and the bedroom, for us, was mostly a sleeping only place. All our toys we kept downstairs and we played outside a lot.

Holliewantstobehot Mon 02-Sep-13 14:07:40

My ds 9 and dd 7 share a room - we have a small two up two down so they have the bigger room. I am hoping to move to a three bed soon. The only issues i have is ds struggling with having no space to himself as he has sen and getting them to sleep. I have solved the latter by putting ds in my bed and then moving him into his own bed when i go up. Also they play in the living room alot as there is not so much space in their room.

Holliewantstobehot Mon 02-Sep-13 14:07:59

My ds 9 and dd 7 share a room - we have a small two up two down so they have the bigger room. I am hoping to move to a three bed soon. The only issues i have is ds struggling with having no space to himself as he has sen and getting them to sleep. I have solved the latter by putting ds in my bed and then moving him into his own bed when i go up. Also they play in the living room alot as there is not so much space in their room.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 02-Sep-13 14:14:31

Mine shared when little then own rooms when older. it can't be that bad to share with a sibling.
There were 3 of us in one room when I was growing up, I shared with my 2 sisters.
Some people just can't afford a bigger house every time they have a child and you still see very large families managing in 2 bed terraces near us.
I wouldn't worry they will be fine until secondary age and they want some privacy.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 02-Sep-13 14:15:17

We have a3 bed house, dd1 is 5 dtds 2 - dtds currently share but dd1 feels left outso we plan to move them all into one room. They love it. Db and I had our own rooms but regularly chose to share. I think it helps with closeness until fighting gets too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now