New baby gifts.

(36 Posts)
nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:09:09

Hello everyone,

so my best friend is having a baby this winter and it is quite a shock! We are early 20s and it will be my first friend to have a baby. In the past my mum has always dealt with baby gifts within the family/friends and as money is a little tight I wondered what I could get for my friends baby.
I have had a thought and that is to get her some new clothes for the baby as I know money will be tight for them too. My question is, is it acceptable to buy baby clothes from places such as tesco and asda for gifts? I don't know if this is a silly question but I am very new to this! I know I would personally be happy with gifts from said places but do not know if there is some sort of unwritten rule that you do not give gifts from these places?!
Please if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I guess I thought if I had a look in these shops every few weeks I could pick up a few items and by the time the baby is born I will have a lovely little collection for them!

nannynewo Thu 08-Aug-13 20:44:05

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone smile I am definitely going to be making a basket I think! Mum has a basket which I can use and will decorate it nicely. Will put a nice outfit in, some little vests and then lots of essentials..wipes, cream, teething things and books etc... will basically see what I can find!

Random question but if I were to put nappies in what size would I need? I have done LOADS of babysitting but the nappies are always just there so don't know about sizes :P

Edendance Wed 07-Aug-13 16:47:29

If they'll be strapped for cash then how about making a nappy cake? I've made a couple before and they've always gone down well! Pop some baby products in the centre like baby bath and sudo crem and you can't go wrong!

AlisonL1981 Wed 07-Aug-13 06:37:16

I also make up baskets for friends now, try stuff they wouldn't think of buying for a newborn so they have it a few months after birth.

I'd go with,

-Wipes
Cotton wool
Baby bath products
Bibs are always handy
Lamaze toys, ds loves them
Teething rings (my ds is just teething and we've just been to mothercare to stock up in teething rings/Sophie the giraffe) get some easy for little hands to grasp.
Weaning things, spoons, bowl, sippy cup (we got a sippy cup that you can take the handle off and put it on the tommee tippie bottles we are using.
Hair brush
First tooth brush and tooth paste
Infacol/gripe water (we had to rush out to buy these when ds has bad wind, so would be useful!
Muslins - always handy
Books on weaning and how to make your own baby food, watch eBay for bargains
Hand/foot print impression kits
Baby record book
Nice photo album
Travel bottle warmer - came in really useful for us!
Nursery rhymes/story's book - if you can shop in Costco they have some amazing bargains
Babys money box and whenever you visit put a coin into it (ones of my friends does this for ds)
Hooded towels.

Most of these I've found I've needed to buy in the first 5 months so all useful!

Lora1982 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:46:04

Definitely get her a thermos mug. I cant live without mine.

Also a Ewan sleep sheep and a hamper of wipes creams sudocreme the lot :-D

MortifiedAdams Sun 28-Jul-13 12:11:02

When I foubd out that my friend was expecting, I got a basket and each week put something else in it. I paid £1 max for each item except the nappies and most of it was from.Home.Bargains or Poundland.It was nearly all branded (Johnson and Johnson, Pampers, Sudocreme etc).:
Three muslins
Baby earbuds
Mini nail files (easier than clippers)
Plastic plate, bowl, sippee cup
wipes
vaseline and sudocreme
nappies
nappy sacks
socks
baby sponge
bath stuff (lotion, shampoo etc)
stacking cups
linking rings
a
little board book
Hat
Chcolate.and hand lotion for mum
pack.of condoms
ear plugs grin

Celophane over the top and a helium.baloon attached.

wibblyjelly Sun 28-Jul-13 12:04:19

May I suggest an unusual idea, and buy your friend a slow cooker? They are brilliant in the early baby days for just being able to chuck things in in the morning, and dinner is ready for the evening. They are also great for making batches of baby friendly stews etc when they start weaning.

josiejay Wed 24-Jul-13 23:20:47

Lavender and tea tree essential oils are good for healing after the birth, I always buy them for pregnant friends because I remember the midwife recommending then to me after the birth and thinking I wish someone had told me before!

Also some comfy, stretchy trousers (eg yoga pants), for when she's too big for her pre pregnancy clothes but doesn't want to wear maternity clothes.

Raindrops0nRoses Wed 24-Jul-13 23:05:51

Just saying that its difficult to use normal bottles/formula in hospital because its difficult to sterilise things, and as a first-time mam, your friend might not realise that. On the two occasions I had to give my DS formula, the bottles+sterile teats came in really handy.

LadyMilfordHaven Wed 24-Jul-13 22:35:16

Raindrops. Don't dm me about threads. Thanks

LadyMilfordHaven Wed 24-Jul-13 21:36:13

Maybe some thought you'd breastfeed hmm

Raindrops0nRoses Wed 24-Jul-13 20:57:56

I'm 23 and just had my first baby. I got loads of presents/clothes from Asda and Tesco etc and they have been lovely and good quality. Your friend will be very grateful I'm sure.
Some of the best gifts I received were cheap and practical: cartons of baby milk (great for in the hospital), some cereal bars and choc bars to snack on while I fed the baby, a clip for the handle of the pram to clip my handbag/shopping bags to (they sell these in Tesco), baby coat hangers, nappies, breast pads, Badedas bath gel (helps when you're sore after giving birth) and things like Calpol/infacol/gripe water which saved us making a midnight dash to the shops.
I preferred it when people gave me stuff a week or so before my due date, because I felt more prepared.
We have ended up with about ten blankets and hooded towels so I would avoid those. And cuddly toys.
Your friend is really blessed to have you .

karinmaria Tue 23-Jul-13 23:17:48

Maternity pads from Sainsbury's own brand. They were given to me by my MIL and they were the softest and most padded brand.

A poddle pod - it's a snugly cushion for baby and great for naps and safely putting baby down in for trips to the loo.

Hooded towels. Sudacrem moisturising mousse. Lavender oil and Badedas Original for mum's post birth baths (although if she has stitches best to wait a couple of weeks). Comfy and warm slipper socks as it'll be winter when the baby comes and she'll be padding into the kitchen at 4am to get bottles.

nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 22:51:50

It is lovely to hear such a large response. I have a much clearer view on what to buy now!

If anyone has any different ideas I would love to hear them also smile

karinmaria Tue 23-Jul-13 22:20:20

You sound like such a lovely friend! I can only echo other posters about present ideas and think that doing a bundle or a basket of things in different sizes is great.

A few of my friends clubbed together and gave me a similar basket with baby grows (from Asda, they're great) which they decorated with fabric pens, sleepsuits, jumpers in the right size for winter and a few posh baby items like a Jellycat white bunny and a rattle from White Company. Also hand cream as I've never washed my hands as much as I do now. And easy to digest munchies like chocolate cranberries, yoghurt raisins and cereal bars (as things can be quite, ahem, tender after birth).

Can't live without my travel mug either!

nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 22:14:45

I am making sure I buy things season appropriate. I keep seeing lovely sun dresses (we know the baby is a girl) and as much as I love them I do put them back. I will only buy summer stuff if it suitable to be worn with tights and a cardigan.

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Jul-13 22:09:53

Also, don't underestimate the problem of buying wrong season baby gear. I inherited a load of baby clothes from my niece who was a summer born for my winter born and she only gets use out of the vests and sleepsuits as when I needed jumpers I had t-shirts and when I needed t-shirts she had jumpers!

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Jul-13 22:07:33

Don't forget that the shops don't close once the baby gets here, you can always buy outfits once it's here and you know the sex and what the parents like.

nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 22:02:55

Chickenfactory congratulations on the little one. I think I will definitely do a little basket of essentials as it is a lot more practical. Thank you, I am only doing what I know she would do for me :D

Just been looking on next and it pains me to see two vest type rompers for £13 and in supermarkets they would only be a few pounds!

chickenfactory Tue 23-Jul-13 21:51:34

Good gifts I received were a baby sleeping bag, DD refused to be swaddled and we wouldn't have had a backup. A baby gym, bouncy chair, swing chair (2nd hand gifted/borrowed from friends) all handy and can get expensive buying new.
Clothes- the supermarket stuff is just as nice and my 5week old is already out of a few things.
Also friends made up gift baskets of nappies, sudocrem, wipes, cotton wool, calpol, infacol, bath thermometer, loads of johnsons baby stuff, muslins, cellular blankets, room thermometer, top and tail bowl.
Hope she appreciates you as a lovely friend grin

PurplePidjin Tue 23-Jul-13 21:45:36

Prams hadn't been invented then, LadyMilfordHaven, so actually Mary would have had no choice hmm

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Jul-13 21:34:22

Lamaze toys are great from when the baby is a couple of months old (Sainsbury's have them). DD is six months and we have a few to hand in various places around the house and she always likes a scrunch and a chew.

nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 21:31:06

I know that the baby will be bottle fed. But agree the baby may not be happy away from the mum for too long so will research nearby spas etc...

Yonididnaedaethat I think I am going to go for something very similar. In fact I purchased some items today (which is what got me thinking about where to buy) and these were both vests! Will probably only buy one little outfit and everything else more practical.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 23-Jul-13 21:28:47

christ not a sling

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 23-Jul-13 21:28:15

i always buy swimming trunks and baby nail clippers

all recipients delighted

Yonididnaedaethat Tue 23-Jul-13 21:26:32

The best present I got was a bag of nappies, wipes, milk, vests and sleep suits smile, much better than fancy wee outfits that only get worn once if that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now