New baby gifts.

(36 Posts)
nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:09:09

Hello everyone,

so my best friend is having a baby this winter and it is quite a shock! We are early 20s and it will be my first friend to have a baby. In the past my mum has always dealt with baby gifts within the family/friends and as money is a little tight I wondered what I could get for my friends baby.
I have had a thought and that is to get her some new clothes for the baby as I know money will be tight for them too. My question is, is it acceptable to buy baby clothes from places such as tesco and asda for gifts? I don't know if this is a silly question but I am very new to this! I know I would personally be happy with gifts from said places but do not know if there is some sort of unwritten rule that you do not give gifts from these places?!
Please if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I guess I thought if I had a look in these shops every few weeks I could pick up a few items and by the time the baby is born I will have a lovely little collection for them!

Raindrops0nRoses Wed 24-Jul-13 20:57:56

I'm 23 and just had my first baby. I got loads of presents/clothes from Asda and Tesco etc and they have been lovely and good quality. Your friend will be very grateful I'm sure.
Some of the best gifts I received were cheap and practical: cartons of baby milk (great for in the hospital), some cereal bars and choc bars to snack on while I fed the baby, a clip for the handle of the pram to clip my handbag/shopping bags to (they sell these in Tesco), baby coat hangers, nappies, breast pads, Badedas bath gel (helps when you're sore after giving birth) and things like Calpol/infacol/gripe water which saved us making a midnight dash to the shops.
I preferred it when people gave me stuff a week or so before my due date, because I felt more prepared.
We have ended up with about ten blankets and hooded towels so I would avoid those. And cuddly toys.
Your friend is really blessed to have you .

LadyMilfordHaven Wed 24-Jul-13 21:36:13

Maybe some thought you'd breastfeed hmm

LadyMilfordHaven Wed 24-Jul-13 22:35:16

Raindrops. Don't dm me about threads. Thanks

Raindrops0nRoses Wed 24-Jul-13 23:05:51

Just saying that its difficult to use normal bottles/formula in hospital because its difficult to sterilise things, and as a first-time mam, your friend might not realise that. On the two occasions I had to give my DS formula, the bottles+sterile teats came in really handy.

josiejay Wed 24-Jul-13 23:20:47

Lavender and tea tree essential oils are good for healing after the birth, I always buy them for pregnant friends because I remember the midwife recommending then to me after the birth and thinking I wish someone had told me before!

Also some comfy, stretchy trousers (eg yoga pants), for when she's too big for her pre pregnancy clothes but doesn't want to wear maternity clothes.

wibblyjelly Sun 28-Jul-13 12:04:19

May I suggest an unusual idea, and buy your friend a slow cooker? They are brilliant in the early baby days for just being able to chuck things in in the morning, and dinner is ready for the evening. They are also great for making batches of baby friendly stews etc when they start weaning.

MortifiedAdams Sun 28-Jul-13 12:11:02

When I foubd out that my friend was expecting, I got a basket and each week put something else in it. I paid £1 max for each item except the nappies and most of it was from.Home.Bargains or Poundland.It was nearly all branded (Johnson and Johnson, Pampers, Sudocreme etc).:
Three muslins
Baby earbuds
Mini nail files (easier than clippers)
Plastic plate, bowl, sippee cup
wipes
vaseline and sudocreme
nappies
nappy sacks
socks
baby sponge
bath stuff (lotion, shampoo etc)
stacking cups
linking rings
a
little board book
Hat
Chcolate.and hand lotion for mum
pack.of condoms
ear plugs grin

Celophane over the top and a helium.baloon attached.

Lora1982 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:46:04

Definitely get her a thermos mug. I cant live without mine.

Also a Ewan sleep sheep and a hamper of wipes creams sudocreme the lot :-D

AlisonL1981 Wed 07-Aug-13 06:37:16

I also make up baskets for friends now, try stuff they wouldn't think of buying for a newborn so they have it a few months after birth.

I'd go with,

-Wipes
Cotton wool
Baby bath products
Bibs are always handy
Lamaze toys, ds loves them
Teething rings (my ds is just teething and we've just been to mothercare to stock up in teething rings/Sophie the giraffe) get some easy for little hands to grasp.
Weaning things, spoons, bowl, sippy cup (we got a sippy cup that you can take the handle off and put it on the tommee tippie bottles we are using.
Hair brush
First tooth brush and tooth paste
Infacol/gripe water (we had to rush out to buy these when ds has bad wind, so would be useful!
Muslins - always handy
Books on weaning and how to make your own baby food, watch eBay for bargains
Hand/foot print impression kits
Baby record book
Nice photo album
Travel bottle warmer - came in really useful for us!
Nursery rhymes/story's book - if you can shop in Costco they have some amazing bargains
Babys money box and whenever you visit put a coin into it (ones of my friends does this for ds)
Hooded towels.

Most of these I've found I've needed to buy in the first 5 months so all useful!

Edendance Wed 07-Aug-13 16:47:29

If they'll be strapped for cash then how about making a nappy cake? I've made a couple before and they've always gone down well! Pop some baby products in the centre like baby bath and sudo crem and you can't go wrong!

nannynewo Thu 08-Aug-13 20:44:05

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone smile I am definitely going to be making a basket I think! Mum has a basket which I can use and will decorate it nicely. Will put a nice outfit in, some little vests and then lots of essentials..wipes, cream, teething things and books etc... will basically see what I can find!

Random question but if I were to put nappies in what size would I need? I have done LOADS of babysitting but the nappies are always just there so don't know about sizes :P

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now