How can I STOP neighbours kids from climbing on my garden wall.

(25 Posts)
Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 07:50:40

I have recently moved into my new home and I am expecting a baby, my yard is in the sun all day so when I finish work I want to just chill in my yard and enjoy the last bit of sun etc. But I have to be really quite because if the neighbours kids hear me they are straight onto their garden table and sitting on my garden wall!!

They are around 6 and 4, the 4 year old is not that bad and he wont get on the wall unless the 6 year old does. but the 6 year old is sooooo loud, he shouts at me and if I don't answer and try and ignore them he just keeps repeating himself and gets louder.

He then started to pull on my wall baskets and touch my flowers I have there. Now when they are doing this their parents say nothing to them and just sit in the house, I tell the kids to get down or they will fall and the 6 year old gets cocky with me says no I wont etc etc!!

I'm thinking of investing in some bamboo screening to put up but what if they carry on climbing on the wall? I want to say something to their parents but really don't know what to say or how to say it?? I am also having a baby shower in august and if its nice I want my guests to go outside but we wont be able to sit and talk without the kids being nosey and loud and shouting at my guests!!

HELP!!!

Pollydon Fri 19-Jul-13 07:51:48

Speak to the parents !

fackinell Fri 19-Jul-13 08:27:20

That would annoy me too. Is the wall wide enough that you can you line the top of it with rectangular planters, so there is nowhere to climb?

I'd also speak to the parents and say you are concerned about them falling but that also the eldest can be a little rude to you and you'd like to enjoy your garden. Nip it in the bud now before they start asking to come over and see the baby all the time.

Kiriwawa Fri 19-Jul-13 08:29:45

Speak to the parents and also them you're putting up some of those anti-cat spikes on top of the wall because you're fed up with kids cats.

PeriodMath Fri 19-Jul-13 08:35:25

Tough one because raising it with the parents will mark you out as "the hoity-toity one next door".

Nonetheless, you'll have to say something because the parents are clearly not going to stop it otherwise.

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 08:44:18

I would put the anti cat spikes but i have 2 cats myself so would seem very obvious that it wasn't for the cats and if i put flower tubs on there they would knock them off it wouldn't stop them from looking over. They also through all their toys into my garden so i stopped giving them back unless they ask because I'm fed up of giving it back and them just throwing it straight back over!!

That's the problem i don't want to seem like a cow and the women who moans next door.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 08:45:30

I mean Throw* not through. sorry baby brain.

Spinstrel Fri 19-Jul-13 08:51:30

Sounds dumb but have you actually told them firmly to get down and say 'you need to stop doing that'? I have this problem too and talk to them like a firm parent - it works reasonably well. Is it a shared wall, though? In which case you don't really have the right to tell them not to climb on it though I agree they shouldn't be fiddling with your planters etc. They're also not to young to learn that you need a bit of privacy and you may have to be the one to tell them. Good luck!

ZipItShrimpy Fri 19-Jul-13 08:57:55

It doesn't sound like you've made it clear to them.

I would say..." Can you get off of my wall

EmilyAlice Fri 19-Jul-13 08:58:29

Could you put a trellis on top and then plant a climbing rose?

ZipItShrimpy Fri 19-Jul-13 08:59:20

ARGHHHH. Posted too soon.

"Can you get off my wall please as I don't want you to climb on it."

If they continue after that then you either have to but up some sort of barrier/spikes or speak to their parents.

pictish Fri 19-Jul-13 09:02:37

Arghh! How annoying.

I'd just get them told. So what if you're the hoity toity cow next door? I value my privacy and space way more than I value the neighbours opinions of me.

"Get off my wall and stay off it!"

TalkativeJim Fri 19-Jul-13 09:07:08

'Right!!! Down off that wall now please- it's dangerous and I don't want you falling. If I see you up there again I'll be talking to your mum and dad!'

Helovesmehelovesmenot Fri 19-Jul-13 09:08:33

I would just say to the 6 year old, "get of my effin wall or i will push you off" you hear me sunshine. Then when he tells his mum deny saying it but push him off next time, he will only land on the table. We had kids next door like this and i resorted to sunbathing topless and the little lad said "Mummy the NDN has her boobies out", I never saw that kid again. He is 15 now, wonder if he remembers that, he does smile at me alot!!

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:13:46

I have told them to get off the wall as they may fall etc and he's just cheeky to me. Yes it is a shared wall but I would never let my kids sit on a wall and stare into someones garden why there relaxing

When I tell them though im worried the parents will hear me shouting at them.

Trellis would be useless as they would still be able to see through.

I just need to know how to go about telling the parents without them getting arsey. Should I do it on my own or make sure my partner is there with me?

Morgause Fri 19-Jul-13 09:16:19

It's a shared wall but who is responsible for it? If it belongs to your neighbours they will probably say it's their wall and the kids are entitled to sit on it.

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:16:37

Haha I have thought about sunbathing topless may have to do that. Haha

Thanks for all the tips everyone, feeling a little more confident in saying something now.

Helovesmehelovesmenot Fri 19-Jul-13 09:18:13

Think the law is if it is on the left hand side of your garden you are responsible, have i just made that up!?

FluffDragon Fri 19-Jul-13 09:20:08

some sort of bamboo screening? then they won't be able to see through. Probably wont stop them shouting over though.

Morgause Fri 19-Jul-13 09:20:52

Our fence is the left hand side at the front and the right hand side at the back, iyswIm.

PestoSwimissimos Fri 19-Jul-13 09:22:15

If it was the front wall, was going to suggest

this

Helovesmehelovesmenot Fri 19-Jul-13 09:22:45

morgause Oh, bet I made it up then! I do that alot!!

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:40:02

My mum said that it was the left handside too this wall is on my right side. Think bamboo screening and the topless thing is the best idea. Thanks

Pollydon Fri 19-Jul-13 11:36:38

Have you had any dealings with the parents already ?- you seem to be awfully sure that they won't react well.

Teapot12 Fri 19-Jul-13 13:51:17

No. There ok they say hi to me and me to them so dont really want to ruin that. I just dont like confrontation and dont want them to turn sour and become horrible etc.
Just worried they will take it the wrong way and make there kids sit on the wall even more, if you know what I mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now