Property dilemma

(6 Posts)
mylittlemonkey Wed 17-Jul-13 23:24:17

We have been looking for ages and now have only a couple if weeks before ours is sold. We have seen a house we both LOVE Inside and never thought we would get a house like that but the reason for this is it is on the main road through the village. It only has one way traffic but it is quite constant throughout the day. It has double glazing so not too bad when windows closed. The main living space we would use is at the back of the house, although had formal reception rooms at the front, but bedroom is at front. We want this to be the final house we buy. We can probably get a fair bit off asking price as been on a while. Since seeing this every other house we view seems very plain even though they tick all the boxes of what we are looking for.

So..... WWYD?

Footle Fri 19-Jul-13 17:22:23

You can't ever tick all the boxes. If you really love this one, decide that you can live with the road , and get on with it. I hope you'll be happy there.

BackforGood Fri 19-Jul-13 17:36:57

Agree with Footle there is no "perfect" house. Even if you think there is, then something will come along to irritate you once you start living there.
Our house has a railway line at the end of the garden and a pretty busy road at the front. Due to the fact one or both of these together would put some people off, it was priced so that we could afford a FAR bigger house than we would have been able to in some other location. For us, the space was too good an opportunity to pass up. We very soon got used to the noise and don't notice it now. Ultimately it is up to you what is more important, all the things you like about it, against those you'd not have chosen. It sounds like you love this one though. smile

Hmm, tricky...are you falling for charm and period features? Will it actually work as a forever family home? If it will, I'm sure as BackforGood says you get used to the noise. If it feels like your house it probably is.

We've moved from a pretty Victorian house to a 70s box. I am over the moon with the new place - the space just works so much better for us. Ultimately, the lovely brickwork meant nothing when I was shivering inside and the kids were driving each other mad because all the rooms were too small.

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Jul-13 17:54:22

Does it have parking for you and visitors, and DC when they learn to drive (you can tell what age my DC are)

mylittlemonkey Mon 22-Jul-13 23:00:24

Thanks for the replies. Yes it does have parking. The house inside is just prefect and loads of space for kids but its always going to be a gamble as to whether we will be able to live with it being on a main road so we are going to put an offer in that reflects the risk we are taking! Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now